• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water logged nest box

Sarina78

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Keryn Mallett
Hey guys, so I have a breeding pair of 8-9 yr old of Sun Conures (Bonnie & Clyde) I co own with a friend of mine. Here in QLD Australia we’ve had strong wind and rain for past couple of days which last night managed to blow the tarp off their cage & has soaked everything including the nest box which I found an egg in (note: their previous clutch a few weeks ago, all 3 were infertile also haven’t checked their nest in a couple of weeks) & I also found an egg on the cage bottom which wasn’t there yesterday arvo when I walked by them to feed the cows. I did candle them both and looks like they are freshly laid & I warmed em up a bit gave them a new nest box & placed eggs back in there but my question is will they still survive (fingers crossed their fertile) if they’ve been waterlogged & cold??
I also noticed today that they have buried them in the nesting material (Lucerne chaff is all I have on hand till the next town trip)

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Depends how much water.

Switch the box for a dry one and some dry aspen shavings and put the egg in and see. Mark it with a sharpie so you know what order the eggs are laid and remember which number was the one from the storm.

Just a couple of observations:
If they had a clutch a few weeks ago, they should have been allowed to rest, having the nest box removed and the cage shuffled to deter breeding. Egg laying is quite taxing on a hens body an they need rests between clutches.
You need some perches, I don´t see a single one in the cage. Without perches, foot problems can develop over time.
Another thing is there doesn´t look to be much enrichment in the cage. Foraging activities, toys, natural branches. All birds need enrichment, and even breeder birds need toys. You can choose toys that are more natural and resemble things they would find in the wild. Natural shreddables, wooden blocks etc. You don´t have to include plastic or bells (unnatural), it´s up to you.
Lastly, could you not take the cage indoors when there´s bad weather? It looks like there´s sun on the whole cage there too, going into the summer this can be dangerous and they have no shelter and won´t be able to escape the heat.

Sorry if it seems I´m picking at your husbandry, I just want your birds to be happy and avoid any health problems for them and for you.