• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water Bowl Nightmare, need help

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Ok so Paco is really feeling at home now. I have a heavy plastic screw in type water bowl, well Mr. Smarty has figured out how to unscrew it and I come home to a mess on the bottom of the cage. I have one for his seed, it slides into metal bars on the side of the bowl, its for large parrots. Its so tight, I know if I use it for water it will spill. Any suggestions? He came with a water bottle but is that really a good idea? I am open to suggestions. Funny how is treat bowl, which he could toss in a second isn't touched. They are too smart!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I like water bottles - far less dangerous for disease. You have to change the water and clean it every day. My vet told me to use one when my birds (big time soup makers) were getting too many infections - it worked.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
oh thanks Mary, he came with a water bottle but it was so nasty, I felt that a bowl would be better, he could dunk his food. I will get him a new one. Sad to say, the reason why his bottom tray has rust holes in it, is that his previous owners must have left wet paper on it. When I adopted him there was 9 inches of soiled paper in his cage.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think @saroj12 has tried several different bottles.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley dumps his water when he's annoyed with me because he knows it drives me crazy :lol:

I've not tried a water bottle with him yet. Right now my solution is a large ceramic bowl on the bottom of his cage.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Ripley dumps his water when he's annoyed with me because he knows it drives me crazy :lol:

I've not tried a water bottle with him yet. Right now my solution is a large ceramic bowl on the bottom of his cage.
I'm pretty sure he woild be afraid if a large bowl

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
What kind of water bottle should I use?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You just need a better bowl.

One like this they can't do anything to. Long thread into the bottom WaterBowl.JPG

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The bowl like @JLcribber has is what I finally had to get for Hank. He was so darned strong that he could tear everything else off the cage and did regularly. This one POed him because he couldn't tear it off and throw it across the room. Hooray - I got him (once).

scott199

Walking the driveway
we use this, its very tight to get in and out and pretty heavy, hence the shelf under it.

but to be fair bert isn't a big bowl thrower anymore, i clamped everything in and he's seems to of given up trying.

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
we use this, its very tight to get in and out and pretty heavy, hence the shelf under it.

but to be fair bert isn't a big bowl thrower anymore, i clamped everything in and he's seems to of given up trying.
That one lasted all of 5 minutes. Cockatoos have built in needle nose pliers. :lol:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Where do I get the one with the screw in the bottom?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks. I am totally stumped. Today when I got home from work the bowl was not tossed. He had chewed up paper that's all. I did tell him don't throw the bowl, made sure it was tight, did he understand me? Who knows.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Update, I read the reviews on these bowls and they are not very good. @JLcribber were you satisfied with the bowl. Many complaints were about the small weld, the bowl arrived in pieces and the label was difficult to get off.

@scott199 I do have that bowl for Paco's seed cup, it is so stiff to get out he jumps and the cage rattles. I did read reviews on it, it is not recommended to use for water as the water splashes out.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Update, I read the reviews on these bowls and they are not very good. @JLcribber were you satisfied with the bowl. Many complaints were about the small weld, the bowl arrived in pieces and the label was difficult to get off.

@scott199 I do have that bowl for Paco's seed cup, it is so stiff to get out he jumps and the cage rattles. I did read reviews on it, it is not recommended to use for water as the water splashes out.
Have had them for 15 years and never a problem. The label was stuck on pretty good. Nothing a little GOOP OFF and a razor blade can't fix. A bowl is a bowl. The important thing is they can't remove it. Period.

scott199

Walking the driveway

yes, i have the flat perch/shelf under it making it solid, Bert is a big boy and it doesn't move with him on it, i set the perch/shelf slightly high so the bowl is kind of clamped in by the bracket but also requires a little leverage to get it in and out, so the shelf clamps it upwards as well, kind of thing.

he's had that in since we got him January and never a drop, i was sceptical when i first seen it but it seems to work, again i have to mention Bert's not really a bowl thrower any more, im sure if he tried he would succeed.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thank you both for your information. I agree @JLcribber a little bit of fingernail polish remover would take off the glue. LOL some people just don't get it. I think I would prefer the smaller bowl as 32oz seems quite big.