• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water bottle’s bad for birds beaks ?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Our local rescue says that Lixit and Bird Butler and any water bottle type metal tip is bad for birds and and they don’t allow it. Has anyone had long term bad issues with their birds from the metal drinking parts of the water bottles ?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have never heard that before. Did they explain their reasoning?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The local rescue just said it’s not allowed as it causes serious damage to the tongue and beak to press against the metal ball, or piece to allow the water to come out .
I can’t find anything on the internet or this forum to substantiate that. They are very adamant “ no water bottles”!
So, I’m asking to see if anyone else agrees with that?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
That's weird. The shop that I got Tibs from trains all of their birds on a water bottle. I didn't like it because you have to scrub the darn tube with f10 every day or so and the bird can't bathe in it. While I haven't heard about the damage, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think it's worth the effort, frankly, and I like my bird being able to bath himself.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Never heard of that either. The only recommendations against it would be if they lodge food into it or not cleaning it regularly to avoid bacteria.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
The rescue was totally against it because of beak and tongue damage .
I bought two bottles already and now I’m worried !

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Furthermore, I'm not sure how a stainless steel water bottle tip would be any harder on the beak than climbing around on a cage. It requires far less force to activate the water than it does for them to carry their weight!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have never heard this. All of my Amazons have has water bottles for 10 plus years now.

Never an issue. Bottle cleaning is an absolute must. Dishwasher and soaked in ACV is my practice here.

Kazoo uses his alot. It's his main way to drink water. Everyone has a water bowl as well.
:)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Never a problem with my Birdy Butler bottles or any other bottles with an actuator tip. Dont like the balls in a tube rodents do best. The water bottles keep the water clean for drinking. The birds also get a bowl of water for bath or play. No problems for twenty plus years.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never had issues with beaks/tongues and water bottles. You have to be very diligent with cleaning them. I always purchased Lixit made in USA and got the ones with glass bottles.
However I did have an issue with using bottles. The birds would remove them and I would find them on the floor. They also had water dishes so that was a good thing but I stopped using the bottles because bottles on the floor are not useful.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What about ss cages and toys, which people have used for years? Ridiculous.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you ask them more about it and let them know none of us have heard of tongue or beak damage nor can anything be found online regarding this issue?
I would be really interested in their reasons and their proof of this claim.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
They said it’s their policy to not allow any type of metal tips on the bottles as they say it hurts their beaks . They said it makes them grow crooked too . I can’t really argue with them as it’s their policy , but I’m glad to hear the only issue is cleaning them properly . I bought to Bird Butlers and I was bummed I couldn’t use them. I was totally surprised too when they told me.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I have never heard this. All of my Amazons have has water bottles for 10 plus years now.

Never an issue. Bottle cleaning is an absolute must. Dishwasher and soaked in ACV is my practice here.

Kazoo uses his alot. It's his main way to drink water. Everyone has a water bowl as well.
:)
What is ACV?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley has a misaligned beak. Never had a water bottle as far as I'm aware. Improper hand feeding would be my guess

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The biggest problem is with bacteria that hides in the tube and is very hard to clean. It needs to be cleaned meticulously every day "inside that pipe".

You've all felt the biofilm slime on a water bowl after only one day. Give it a week and you have a bacteria factory.

Any more than one or two bottles and you've got a pretty hefty cleaning chore "every day".

A water bowl is just easier and safer.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They said it’s their policy to not allow any type of metal tips on the bottles as they say it hurts their beaks . They said it makes them grow crooked too .

Not true. Scissor beak is caused by "improper" hand feeding techniques when the chick is very young and the muscles are stretched by the un skilled feeder.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella was raised with a water bottle and she has had access to a water bottle for 5 years with no problems. She also has a water dish too. I think for her, the water bottle is comfort because she uses the water dish more.