• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water and food bowl

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi guys as you all know I have now owned my Indian ringneck for 7 months or so and I'm just wandering how do you all wash water and food bowls. I wash mine daily with lukewarm water but is there a better way to wash them.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Soap and water every day. That's all.

Mantis64

Soap and water every day. That's all.
If I used soap I would be at the sink for half an hour making sure no soap is left in the bowl I'm paranoid like that.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Metal or plastic?

I do something simple for my dishes- I boil water in my kettle (for my morning tea), I pour extra water it in my metal dishes.
I get about my business and return in a couple minutes to empty it, with my soapy sponge scrub, and rinse, rinse rinse. Let dry. I worry more about bacteria more than soap or disinfectants.

I drink tea three times a day.... same as how i change out the fresh food... :)

Mantis64

Metal or plastic?

I do something simple for my dishes- I boil water in my kettle (for my morning tea), I pour extra water it in my metal dishes.
I get about my business and return in a couple minutes to empty it, with my soapy sponge scrub, and rinse, rinse rinse. Let dry. I worry more about bacteria more than soap or disinfectants.

They are plastic bowls but after this lockdown I will most likely get stainless steel as I have heard plastic is easier for bacteria to accumulate on.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad your getting stainless. I put mine in the dishwasher.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wash Burt's bowls numerous times a day but he is a grot with his bowls. My budgie gets his bowls washed every morning and if he has sat in them and pooped (why he does this I do not know lol) then they get another wash so he is not dealing with poopy dishes.
All my bird dishes either go into the dishwasher or get washed by hand in really hot soapy water before any other dishes get washed. I always rinse them well regardless of how they got washed.

Mantis64

Metal or plastic?

You know after I wash the bowl with soap and water and rinse it a couple of times can I dry them with a paper towel or should I just let them dry naturally. As of right know I'm using a paper towel to dry them.

Mantis64

Hi as you know i have had my bird for about 5 to 6 months hes an indian ringeck. But up untill about a few weeks ago i would just clean his water bowl with lukewarm water. Now i clean it with soap detergent but im worried within the last 4 to 5 months he could have been exposed to or picked up an infection. Hes not displaying any symptoms but should i be concered.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
As you know, birds hide their illnesses very well, but you are really good at noticing if things are off with him, so I think he is okay or you would have noticed. Just keep watching him, but try not to worry so much. It seems like he should be just fine.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Chill out some and just observe your bird without looking for issues.
The vet said he’s healthy- that should be good enough for you if you trust your vet.
The more chill you are the more you will enjoy your bird (and visa versa) and actually clearly observe what is natural for your bird..... when/if something really is ever wrong you’ll notice more easily as it will be so different to what you see when you guys are happy and calm and just rolling along. If you are up tight and stressed your bird will be too.
Also birds can sometimes do one funny poop here and there- one is never enough to know something is wrong.

I bet if you look hard enough (elsewhere not at your bird and his poop) you’ll find something heaps more fun, educational, useful or exciting to do than check your parrots turds. :lol:

Mantis64

Chill out some and just observe your bird without looking for issues.
The vet said he’s healthy- that should be good enough for you if you trust your vet.
The more chill you are the more you will enjoy your bird (and visa versa) and actually clearly observe what is natural for your bird..... when/if something really is ever wrong you’ll notice more easily as it will be so different to what you see when you guys are happy and calm and just rolling along. If you are up tight and stressed your bird will be too.
Also birds can sometimes do one funny poop here and there- one is never enough to know something is wrong.

I bet if you look hard enough (elsewhere not at your bird and his poop) you’ll find something heaps more fun, educational, useful or exciting to do than check your parrots turds. :lol:
Im not worried just curious

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
No need to be sorry, and don’t feel like you can’t ask questions here, that’s how we all learn. I think the idea is to try not to worry so much for your own peace of mind and so you don’t stress out your bird. At least you are concerned about your birds health, and you obviously love your bird, unlike many other people in this world!