• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Watching YouTube Birds With MY Bird!

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I did it for a short time once right after first getting Archie, but last night, we spent a good hour on shoulder watching birds talk. He had a freaking ball, and chatted away with some of his own vocalizations now and then.

I’m curious if I continue this practice, whether he’ll pick up on new sayings, songs, etc. You see, although Archie imitates me, my voice is low and gravelly and not optimum for the desired result. He learns my wife’s voice perfectly and it sounds great, but it’s all d**n Spanish. (Married 31 years and my wife does this to annoy me.)

I’m also curious whether just showing him YNA videos makes any difference! Like, would he respond more to “one of his own?”

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Sisi also loves to watch and hear YouTube birds! She will talk back and make all kind of sounds. :)

When I brought Sisi home she was making sounds I recognized from Einstein the African Grey. :lol: I think her previous owners may have watched this videos around her.

I did not see a difference in reacting to one of her own or other birds with Sisi.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m also curious whether just showing him YNA videos makes any difference! Like, would he respond more to “one of his own?”
My Gigi likes watching all birds on the TV, but she responds far more enthusiastically to other Linnies.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Aww, adorable! Caroline loves the sound of cockatiels, don’t know why!

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Wonder just how smart your little green angel is? I have a funny story. When my Sam the BFA was a baby, about 35 years ago, we had a tape that was supposed to help him learn to talk. Well, he hated that tape. When we put it on, he would go into the corner of the cage and glare at it. One day we were all sitting on the couch and there were a bunch of tapes on the table in front of us. While we weren't paying attention, Sam got onto the table, found the one tape that was for learning to talk, and destroyed it. Left all the others alone. We were hysterical laughing. I guess he told us! So watching these You Tube videos can surely teach these smart creatures a lot. Especially if they really like them. LOL

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Wonder just how smart your little green angel is? I have a funny story. When my Sam the BFA was a baby, about 35 years ago, we had a tape that was supposed to help him learn to talk. Well, he hated that tape. When we put it on, he would go into the corner of the cage and glare at it. One day we were all sitting on the couch and there were a bunch of tapes on the table in front of us. While we weren't paying attention, Sam got onto the table, found the one tape that was for learning to talk, and destroyed it. Left all the others alone. We were hysterical laughing. I guess he told us! So watching these You Tube videos can surely teach these smart creatures a lot. Especially if they really like them. LOL
That story is the BEST!!!

BirdView

Strolling the yard
I did it for a short time once right after first getting Archie, but last night, we spent a good hour on shoulder watching birds talk. He had a freaking ball, and chatted away with some of his own vocalizations now and then.

I’m curious if I continue this practice, whether he’ll pick up on new sayings, songs, etc. You see, although Archie imitates me, my voice is low and gravelly and not optimum for the desired result. He learns my wife’s voice perfectly and it sounds great, but it’s all d**n Spanish. (Married 31 years and my wife does this to annoy me.)

My Amazon is not a good talker. So far he has only said "Hello" and "Hi". Last week I watched with a him a Youtube video of a DYH amazon talking. Later that day I could not believe it when I heard him saying to me "whatcha doin?!" :lol:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So i was right, I watched some OWA videos on YouTube with my Inca... He was very excited... Hope he'll pick up some vocabulary

Reactions: Ira