• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Watching the Kestrels

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Funny if you take the time to watch wild birds, not just look at them, they act quite a bit like our pet birds. I was watching the Kestrels this morning and the were preening each other, doing "Stretchers" and fluffed up, it cool here this morning.

Sir Hunter is already on the job and bringing Little Miss food (lizards) but she hasn't gone to nest yet. I guess he's trying to show her that he CAN bring home the bacon...so to speak :yes:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Are you able to get pictures?

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Not really, I'm using a telescope to watch them and have no way to attach a cell phone to it. I got a couple of photos last year by holding the cell phone up to the eyepiece but it took about 20 tries to get a shot. But here's a shot from then.

Kestrels on the pole.jpg

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Zoo Mom, I just ordered an adaptor that will let me mount a cell photo to my telescope. It's coming from England, I'm in Florida, so it'll be a couple of weeks. But it's on the way.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Love the picture.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Funny if you take the time to watch wild birds, not just look at them, they act quite a bit like our pet birds. I was watching the Kestrels this morning and the were preening each other, doing "Stretchers" and fluffed up, it cool here this morning.

Sir Hunter is already on the job and bringing Little Miss food (lizards) but she hasn't gone to nest yet. I guess he's trying to show her that he CAN bring home the bacon...so to speak :yes:
This is very true. Many won't breed until mate proves efficient and there is abundance .

Was reading a blog on an eagle pair. It was a new pair older female lost her mate and had just paired with a very young male. He was having trouble providing and she delayed laying eggs. It was interesting...sorry not something I kept to share.

I will love following your observations. I hope yiu do documents wjth nest watch

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Glad to hear what you have to say, this is a Message Board NOT a Monologue Board! :grouphug: We all have a right to have our say here, it's what keep things going.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kestrels are one of my favorite falcons. Saw one very close through a glass door few years ago. It was capturing a pine siskin that hit the glass. Flew to the roof of a neighbors house.
There it de featherd the unfortunate tiny bird and had a meal. Their wing span is much larger then they look.