• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Washing rope perches!

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Hey guys, as some of you know, Im still away from Soba. I DID buy him some rope perches though for when I get back in a few days (I managed to find a way to get home even earlier than I thought)

:D

now I’m just wondering how I can wash them? I heard dish washer works but I can’t really use mine right now. Is there a way I can use the washing machine? If so, how can I do that without damaging the perches or using harsh laundry soaps (unless those are safe?). Thanks guys

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Thanks! :D
Is it safe to use the dryer as well though?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't use the dryer personally... I set them outside in the sun if I can, otherwise I hang them from the curtain rod in the bathroom and put a fan on them. It'll take a few days to fully dry, FYI!

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I scrub mine down with homemade cleaning solution, rinse then disinfect with F10. Then I leave it outside to dry :)

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
I use hot soapy water with a little bleach and a good scrub brush. get them good and wet (can use the tub or a large bucket), then scrub the life out of them, rinse well with HOT water and air dry. As other have stated you can hang dry them, put a fan on them, dry in the sun. which ever works best. I made the mistake of not air drying them properly and I had mold start to grow on one once (they were not in the cages thank god)! IF that happens get rid of the perch.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
My rope percges don't get dirty enough for me to want to wash them. They are so tightly twisted that I'm afraid of them growing mould. I know this is against general opinion/practice but I don't like risking them not drying thoroughly.

Edit: I would probably get a new one if I felt like one got so bad that it needed washing.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I just keep mine somewhere where they won't get pooped on, and if they get too dirty, I replace them (but I haven't had to yet)