• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Washing frequency of Lixit bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I use the Birdie Butlers rather than the Lixit bottles and I think they are far superior. I also suggest spending the extra money for the all SS valves rather than the brass valves. For years, I've done what Saroj is doing now, I have two bottles for each bird and they get switched out about once a week and run through the top shelf of the dishwasher.

I do think that we can be too crazy about cleanliness and I don't think it does our birds any good at all. The craziest people I've ever seen seem to hang out on Carolyn Swicegood's TLC group. Some are so paranoid about cleanliness that they won't even handle their parrot until they clean their hands and forearms with anti-bacterial soap like a doctor going in for surgery. The weirdest thing that I notice about this group over and over again is how many birds end up getting sick...maybe a correlation, maybe not but it is something to think about.

As far as giardia is concerned, that isn't something that just grows in water, it has to be there in the water to begin with. I wholeheartedly agree that bowls can get scummy and when I was using them for water, they would get a new bowl for water every single day. Like someone else mentioned, I've got about a million bowls, so that wasn't a big deal. The main reason I went to bottles is because of the complete mess that my Ekkies would make of their water and they took to them so well that I just went with bottles for everyone and it works great. The difference with the bottles, especially the Birdie Butlers, is that it's self contained. Does the water get stale? I don't think so. I have a jug of water that I keep in my refrigerator that I drink water from daily and it lasts two to three weeks and the water never tastes bad from that. The birds also get this water in their bottles. This has been what's working for me for years now, so there's my two cents.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I use the Lixit bottles for my ferret only. I take them apart, including the rubber rings, and I wash them in a mild water and soap mixture. The bottles I use a mild bleach and water mixture, let it set,and then rinse very well. I do this Weekly. Things can grow in the various parts of the bottles so quickly.

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
Halfway through this thread I had to stop and run to go change the water because I was so grossed out by all the talk of bacteria multiplying! I definitely think many bird people are wound a bit too tight about many things but water is not one of them. Water is very important. I hate water bottles and would prefer to use bowls exclusively except Romeo and Juliet are afraid of water bowls and will not go to the bottom of the cage if I put a bowl of water in. They've shown some interest in bowls of water on the side of the bars but not enough interest so that I would feel comfortable having their only source of water be a bowl.

I strongly believe water should be changed every day. Twice is better. It depends on where you live and what season though. I find myself changing their water all the time during the period when summer is starting but I'm still too cheap to put in the air conditioner. I wash the bowls with soap and water. The birds have their own special sponge because I can't stand the idea of washing my dishes with the same sponge I wash their dishes with.

I would not drink water sitting out for days when I know there is water in my tap. If I was in the desert I would drink anything I found. That's the difference as I see it. While wild birds may sometimes be forced to drink dirty water (something my boyfriend brings up every time he thinks I'm changing the water too soon) they would never choose to. My birds have the luxury of living somewhere with plumbing and a human slave. A slow moving human slave who never brings the right food but at least they have something.

I've noticed people have different ideas about animals and how much water they need and how often to wash bowls. I know someone who never, ever washes the plastic bowls they use for their pets. The bowls develop a disgusting brown slimy layer on the bottom. Every time I am alone in that house I furiously wash all the bowls until they are spotless. The pets have noticed what I do. The humans have not ever said anything to me about it. I know many people who never wash the water bowls their dogs use. Never. Just refill them. If they are not looking I will wash those bowls too. So gross. If I was thirsty I would drink anything but I would prefer to drink clean water.

In the morning if I see Squeaky trying to drink the water before I've changed it I will tell him not to touch it and then I will come over and take the water bowl out to wash it. I can't stand watching him drink dirty poopy water that has been sitting out overnight. He is oblivious but luckily he listens anyway.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Honestly, I had only heard about using a bottle for birds recently. Must have been living under a rock all this time. My birds get pellets, seed, fruits and vegetables every day and a water dish which gets thoroughly washed and dried well. Sometimes I must change the water in a couple of cages twice a day depending on what they do with their food. Our water is not that good. I use Mt. Olympus spring water for myself and my birds. It is very good tasting! After all, the tap water in our homes......we use that stuff to flush the toilet with ladies and gents!!! Don't drink it!!:highfive:
Oh ick, oh gross! Once, years ago I had a friend ask me to really check the corners of my water dish so I put on my glasses and FOUND the above mentioned slime. I freaked out. Ever since, after carefully scrubbing with a sponge which is thrown away each week, I DRY each dish which also gets any speck out too. I had a glass which I kept by my own bed that upon careful inspection had something growing in it!! It really changed the way I do dishes once and for all. Just last week and since reading this thread, I went out and bought all identical bowls so that one set can completely DRY before being used again. I think this is a good idea from a health standpoint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.