• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Was this a stroke?

Bhubheik

Checking out the neighborhood
This morning I heard wings flapping around cage bars in my sun conure’s cage, so I went to check on him. I found him on the bottom of the cage shaking with his feet up. I panicked and picked him up and he started screaming in fear/pain and was agressively biting me. I brought him to my room and he flied into my bed and tucked his head into a corner. Whenever I tried to get my hands near him he started screaming again and kept running from me. He got under my blanket and I let him stay there, he would calm down and stare blankly, but few minutes later the shaking started again (mostly his head and wings and his beak wide open) and he was panicking again. This kept repeating. Me and my mom got ready quickly to take him to the vet. I had to hold him on my chest the whole time because when I put him in a cage he went INSANE and I was scared of him dying due to the stress. During the ride the shaking kept occuring. We got to the vet and... I put him on the table and he panicked so much that he stopped moving. The vet started resuscitation immediately and was able to revive him. She put him into a oxygen box because he was panting... that’s all they were able to do and they were pretty clueless and we had to drive to a vet 1 and half hours away from us - the closest avian veterinary. The ride was absolutely nerve wrecking and I just wanted to cry. Every few minutes he started shaking with his beak open and looking absolutely terrified. It was really hard to watch. His “strokes” were getting louder and louder. We were 30 minutes away from the vet. He got his last stroke. My beautiful sun conure died right in my hands today. I am absolutely devastated. He filled such a huge gap in my heart after losing a pet before. And now he’s gone...
Has anyone encountered anything similar? What could this be?

Attachments

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
This morning I heard wings flapping around cage bars in my sun conure’s cage, so I went to check on him. I found him on the bottom of the cage shaking with his feet up. I panicked and picked him up and he started screaming in fear/pain and was agressively biting me. I brought him to my room and he flied into my bed and tucked his head into a corner. Whenever I tried to get my hands near him he started screaming again and kept running from me. He got under my blanket and I let him stay there, he would calm down and stare blankly, but few minutes later the shaking started again (mostly his head and wings and his beak wide open) and he was panicking again. This kept repeating. Me and my mom got ready quickly to take him to the vet. I had to hold him on my chest the whole time because when I put him in a cage he went INSANE and I was scared of him dying due to the stress. During the ride the shaking kept occuring. We got to the vet and... I put him on the table and he panicked so much that he stopped moving. The vet started resuscitation immediately and was able to revive him. She put him into a oxygen box because he was panting... that’s all they were able to do and they were pretty clueless and we had to drive to a vet 1 and half hours away from us - the closest avian veterinary. The ride was absolutely nerve wrecking and I just wanted to cry. Every few minutes he started shaking with his beak open and looking absolutely terrified. It was really hard to watch. His “strokes” were getting louder and louder. We were 30 minutes away from the vet. He got his last stroke. My beautiful sun conure died right in my hands today. I am absolutely devastated. He filled such a huge gap in my heart after losing a pet before. And now he’s gone...
Has anyone encountered anything similar? What could this be?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry. :sad2: It sounds like he was having seizures. It could’ve been something neurological.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It sounds much more like seizures and very serious ones. That does not lessen the pain of your losing him, but take some solace that there was probably nothing that could have been done for him.

Remember the good times with him - you can honor him in this way.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I am so sorry for you :sadhug: It's so hard to see that happen. :sad5: But you did everything you could for him. I know how devestanted you must feel, so I hope that you can feel better soon!
p.s. He was gorgeous! I'm sure that you loved him with all of your heart, and remember that you did everything you could for him

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 6.58.42 PM.png

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss. I agree with the others- it sounds more like seizures to me. My cockatiel had a stroke and it didn't present like that.

Bhubheik

Checking out the neighborhood
It sounds much more like seizures and very serious ones. That does not lessen the pain of your losing him, but take some solace that there was probably nothing that could have been done for him.

Remember the good times with him - you can honor him in this way.
But seizures for like 2-3 hours? :sad8: Any idea what could cause this?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are many, many things that can cause seizures. Bad circulation, infections, low blood sugar, congenital condition, malnutrition......., but most are never diagnosed and are called idiomatic. That's why I said your bird's seizures were very serious - usually seizures only last a few minutes and the after effects a few minutes.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you want to know what caused your bird's death, ask your veterinarian to do a necropsy ( an autopsy for animals). He may or may not be able to find the cause. I always have necropsies done on my birds when they die, whether I know the cause of death or not - I never fail to learn something.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your loss. :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m truly sorry for your loss. At least his last memory was being held by the person who loves him the most :sadhug:

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
That sounds so horrific, I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like he had a lovely life :sadhug2: