• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Was this a bad idea..?

Emi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emilia kargol
So, as some of you remember, i have a red bellied parrot. i have him for almost 3 months, but regret buying him in the first place.

I had a few parrots in the past and i was dreaming of them from when i first heard about these wonderfull animals..

here is a bit of my story with parrots.(sorry for bad english btw)
everything started when i was 8. i loved parrots before but after this age i was obsessed with them. i started to collect money for an amazon parrot. i spent HOURS on youtube and google watching and reading about how to take care of them and what they are as pets. when i was 10/11 when i was about to get the parrot, but i realized an amazon parrot isn't the best choice for the begining of my experience with a new bird. I got Alex, a green cheek conure instead. Alex lived in a big cage in my room, in which i spent most of my time after school(in fifth grade i had a very small amount of lessons). we were best friends until he died in a poor accident. after his death i became a whole other person. i wasnt my happy and funny self anymore. i had a break from birds, until i got Leon, my red bellied parrot. our bond is even stronger than the one with Alex. he also lives in my room, because my parents arent fans of parrots, so they wouldn't accept him anywhere alse. but i spend as much time i can in my room so leon is alone only when im in school or do some more important things. but now we have a LOT of lessons, so i dont think he is getting enough time with me. i'm so scared that he will start to pluck, that would be a disaster for me..
im going to a boarding school in a year. im going to spend so much time there, that im not going to have any for leon. actually, i won't even see him! i will spend 5 days away from home every week, and there will be no one to stay with leon and give him the right amount of attention he needs.

i feel SO freaking guilty for buying him, because we are already best friends, we cant live without eachother, and now i have to give him away.
i feel guilty for not thinking about my future before i got him. i just cant stand the feeling that i have to give him away.
just thinking about the last time i will hug him makes me cry- im in tears right now

so, for people that want to buy a parrot- please think about the future or you might end up like me

School is starting in a year. the question is, should i give him away now, as we arent so extremely bonded and giving him away wont hurt THAT much, or should i let him stay with me for the last few months when we would be so extremely close to eachother, that giving him away would be a complete disaster.

i want to rehome him not only because of school, i just want a better home for him. i want him to live in a place where he wont live in a room that is empty for most of the day. i want him to have a lot of loving owners that will afford a good diet and things he needs, i want them to take care of him more than i do, and i want him to have a home that he will stay in for most of his life.

and most of all, i want him to be finally happy.

if anyone read this to the end, i'm really gratefull and tell me what you think i should do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the question is, should i give him away now, as we arent so extremely bonded and giving him away wont hurt THAT much, or should i let him stay with me for the last few months
My thoughts are... If you know you will 100% have to rehome him in the near future, then I would do it now rather than a few months down the line.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
This is a last resort, are you sure you can’t do anything? Could a friend take care of him? Could your parents maybe take care of him?

If you are sure you can’t do anything else here is a list of Rescues. I’m sorry you have to rehome your family member.:sadhug2:

Molly

Moving in
Real Name
Molly Shiley
I hope you do end up finding a way to keep him but if you don't we are in Omaha, NE and love conures. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
So what ever happened?