• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

was just given a mommy pigeon and her 2 babies. advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
Violet and Apollo got to spend the day outside, but instead of wandering around, they sat in their nest the whole time...

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Violet threw up sometime during the night. I'm sure it was her because she had dried formula on her beak. It was formula with lots of seeds mixed in. I know they were fine at least 2+ hours after feeding when I covered their cage. Everything was normal when we went to bed last night - and I haven't done anything different since I got them other than their outside time yesterday. Violet drank some water this morning after I cleaned up. They are both peeping for food, but not quite as aggressively as usual. I have not fed them formula this morning, but have seeds and water available in the cage. They are both a little puffy, Violet moreso. I registered for a pigeon forum (waiting to be approved so I can post) and am thinking about putting a heating pad in there.

ETA: they are pecking seeds, not sure if I'm just being paranoid... when they see me they perk up and start peeping

Last edited:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
They are both puffy, but still alert, moving around some, preening, peeping. Have not been pecking seeds. I fed them some formula. I'm waiting to hear back from a rehabber. Their poop is yellow and runny now.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Poor Violet did not make it through the night. I called my vet first thing in the morning and got an emergency work-in, but Apollo died a few minutes later. They both went downhill so rapidly after appearing robust and healthy, it is frustrating. I was very vigilant, and there were absolutely no signs of illness when they were tucked in Saturday night (normal poop, normal eating, normal behavior, crops felt fine) and then less than 36 hours later both were gone. I spent literally all day making calls and looking online to see what could be done, and I just feel exhausted and defeated. I sanitized the cage and threw out all items I used for them. So very sad... I was already very attached to these sweet little guys.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. you were sounding so happy and hopefull for them both. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh no, I am so very very sorry to hear this...:hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im sorry Penny, they must have had something when you got them. Thanks for keeping them safe and warm.:hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Thanks everyone for following the progress on these guys. Had it not been Sunday, I would have taken them in to the vet immediately that morning after they threw up, because I hate the "wait and see" approach. Unfortunately I'm sometimes put in situations where either I take a bird and do my best, or there is nowhere else for them to go and they have no chance. I try to think about all the ones that were released and now flying around out there somewhere, but my thoughts always circle back to the ones I couldn't help. I have 4 happy doves enjoying the sun outside today, but Violet and Apollo's empty cage is just sad.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You need not :hug8:explain, I go through the same thing... As do all who help wild birds. And baby season is coming fast....

Status
Not open for further replies.