• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

was just given a mommy pigeon and her 2 babies. advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I got a call to get a mommy pigeon and her two babies. I will post pics tomorrow. They are good-sized (took 2 hands to scoop one up), and plump little guys. She was nested in a ceiling in an office building, and they removed her. I have them set up on my screened patio in a large plastic bucket, with straw, a seed mixture, and water. Mom also has access to another food and water station a few feet away. She was frozen scared, and let me pick up her and the chicks and set them in the straw. I have seen her checking out the patio, and now I think she is in the nest with them. I'm starting research to see what else I can offer them - I just hope the mom isn't too stressed. Setting up a nest outside is impossible due to a cat roaming the neighborhood. I'm hoping I can just stay out of her way, keep food and water available and let her do her thing until they are ready to fly away.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
aw thank you for helping them. hope you find out what to feed...I know the pigeons around here gobble up the extra seed we put down for the birds outside but I think you can buy pigeon seed I have seen it at pet stores..she will get to know that you are trying to help her.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
She has the same seed mix that the doves are eating, with a larger seed mix thrown in. It will be pretty obvious what she prefers when I check on the food bowls and see what disappeared. The vet recommended offering veggies to the doves (I'm thinking that it would be good for pigeons too) but the doves have largely ignored them. It's only a temporary diet until she can leave, so I am not very worried - but still want to offer the best possible food.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Another kind hearted AA member go figure .. Thank you Ashley that speaks leeps and bounds about you ;):D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Offer them people food too. Wild doves will eat almost anything. Good luck and Thankyou for giving them a second chance!

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Sounds like a perfect set up to me :) very lucky momma and bubbas :hug8:

sweethartza

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shaz
I've read your past posts and I have no doubt that they are in good hands. You truly have a beautiful heart and I know that the birds also sense that about you.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I am trying to keep an eye on them and make sure she is feeding them. Last night she was perched up on the fan - not with the babies - so I brought them inside for the night. I took the out first thing in the morning but haven't seen her feed them. Their crops are definitely not as full as yesterday when I got them.
a 006.jpg a 003.jpg

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
From a growth chart I found, I'd guess these guys are about 2 1/2 weeks old? In another week or so, they should be pecking seeds.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks like she did a good job decorating your fan.:D shes probably spooked and lost right now. Keep an eye on those babies to make sure theyre getting fed. The "Im hungry mom" peeps should get her attention. Come time for release, do it with all of them together. Oh, and try feeding the teeny tiny broccoli florets to the doves, mine go nutso over them. Good luck with your new temporary family.:hug8:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Thanks! Their crops were full when they came yesterday afternoon, were pretty empty at bedtime, and have been empty all day. They are peeping a lot. If she hasn't filled them up by bedtime, I'm unfortunately going to have to (ugh, I hate feeding squabs, LOL).

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
I've tried for over an hour and cannot get them to eat, even though they are clearly hungry and peeping constantly. I tried the fake crop I use for baby doves, I tried syringe feeding, but they squirm around so badly that I worry about injuring or aspirating them. I'm not sure what to do, and trying to research other ideas.

ETA: I got 15cc of formula down them - toweling made it easier. I'll keep feeding them, and if mom doesn't take over in a few days I may let her go. She was flying at the screens today. I've read stories of other pigeons who got stressed from a move, and stopped feeding their young. Poor mommy. I picked them up immediately when I got the call because I didn't want that to happen.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You may have to set her free. :( but the babies will be fine in your care, they should wean shortly , too bad the family had to be disturbed.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
You're right, Birdbabe. Actually, she just flew away a bit ago. She was clearly agitated, and has been flying at the windows more and more. I've gotten comfortable feeding the babies, and they are certainly close to eating seed. I just want to keep them from getting tame so I can release them! They already peep and shake their wings when they see me.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Uh oh..peeping and wing shaking...:hehe: if I was closer, Id snap those babies up from you....:D I love baby pidgies. Good luck with them and Im sure pretty momma will go home and get herself another boyfriend, or maybe her current boyfriend.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Big brother keeps stealing his sister's food! He stuck his beak down her throat and stole her breakfast right out of her crop, so I had to feed her again. They are pecking seed, so I can probably start doing once-a-day formula soon, and stop as soon as they drink water and get better at pecking.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Little stinkers...:heart:

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Apollo (darker wings) is the loud one, always making a ruckus. Violet is sweet and calm. I got a piece of plexiglass to keep them separated for 1/2 hour after feedings now so he can calm down and not be a CROP ROBBER. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.