• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

WARNING ABOUT SELF CLEANING OVENS

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Someone in the bird community lost their Caique today from cooking with their oven. Apparently ALL Self cleaning ovens are lined with Teflon. She said she was making tater tot’s. Opened the oven and both birds immediately dropped from the top of the cage. One passed in the car on the way to the vet, the other is on oxygen right now. I wanted to pass this warning along because this is something a lot of us weren’t aware of. I don’t want to see any one else lose thier baby like she did. Here is her video

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for sharing and for the reminder.

Although self cleaning ovens are dangerous to birds and the self cleaning function should not ever be used with birds in the home, in this case there was no mention of a self cleaning oven killing the birds simply from being used at normal cooking temps- she said she used a teflon liner to catch the grease and stuff.

Teflon is in oven bags, hair straighteners, irons, ironing board covers, coffee makers, popcorn makers, sandwich presses, air fryers, many heaters etc The list is so long it is mad.
Basically if you have an item that heats in any way then research needs to be done as to its safety for use in a home with birds.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Although self cleaning ovens are dangerous to birds and the self cleaning function should not ever be used with birds in the home, in this case there was no mention of a self cleaning oven killing the birds simply from being used at normal cooking temps- she said she used a teflon liner to catch the grease and stuff.

Teflon is in oven bags, hair straighteners, irons, ironing board covers, coffee makers, popcorn makers, sandwich presses, air fryers, many heaters etc The list is so long it is mad.
Basically if you have an item that heats in any way then research needs to be done as to its safety for use in a home with birds.
It is horrid! And now they are substitute chemicals in the same family chain like cousins or 3rd fourth generation so a little different chemical name but the same toxic results...not only with these, but many other chemicals

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My old stove has 2 ovens. One large, one small. The small one self cleans as you use it & I can smell it. No way to turn that cleaning part off. So I do not use it ever since we got the birds years ago. The large oven you set the controls to clean it. I also do not use that. We just wipe it out as needed. If these darn chemicals are killing birds in minutes, think what it's doing to us over time.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So sad heartbroken for her

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My old stove has 2 ovens. One large, one small. The small one self cleans as you use it & I can smell it. No way to turn that cleaning part off. So I do not use it ever since we got the birds years ago. The large oven you set the controls to clean it. I also do not use that. We just wipe it out as needed. If these darn chemicals are killing birds in minutes, think what it's doing to us over time.
Some of the new ones have what they are calling a steam self cleaning cycle. It only goes to about 200-250 degrees, and then you wipe down what the steam loosens.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
All in the name of people being too lazy to use elbow grease.
Also, im not convinced microwave ovens are harmless.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I specifically purchased a Whirlpool oven that requires distilled water to do the cleaning cycle at low temperature. I was always scared someone would turn on the self clean cycle by accident.

Here's an old thread about it

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

Thanks for the clarification, I was a bit confused for a moment. I also appreciate you mentioning teflon in air fryers. I was familiar with teflon in the other products you mentioned, but not those.

To add to the list if anyone is interested in 3D printing (or have someone in their house that is interested) know that many of them have Teflon parts that can get very hot. I think the machines can be modded to use stainless steel though.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for the clarification, I was a bit confused for a moment. I also appreciate you mentioning teflon in air fryers. I was familiar with teflon in the other products you mentioned, but not those.

To add to the list if anyone is interested in 3D printing (or have someone in their house that is interested) know that many of them have Teflon parts that can get very hot. I think the machines can be modded to use stainless steel though.
My son is into 3D printing and has quite a few printers, it really is surprising just how many household items use Teflon (aka non stick)- he has just told me the only printers he used in our house were ones without Teflon and his ones that have Teflon parts are in the shed.

CrazyCakes

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I can’t edit my post but apparently not ALL ovens come with this liner. So just make sure you don’t have an oven liner in your oven. She explained more about it in her other videos. BUT I did learn some toaster ovens are coated with a PTFE coating so heads-up to make sure ur small toasters are not coated with it. And yes don’t ever ever ever use the self cleaning function.