• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warm Humidifiers

genucr25

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sarah
Hello,
I recently began to use a warm humidifier for my Conure and Cockatiel . However, I did research and mine contains a Teflon substance on the heating element. I used it three times. Not sure what to do and my anxiety level is though the roof.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Are your birds acting okay? Just keep an eye on them for any problems. At the first sign of anything wrong, take them to the vet. If it’s been a while since you used the heater, they are probably okay.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Can you return it and get one without teflon? They do exist.
I'd say to be careful not to let the humidifier run dry.
I don't know how hot the heating element would get if it went dry, but the problems with teflon arise when it is overheated.

HoneyGold

Real Name
Paula
Hi! I started to post almost the same thread actually but saw yours. I figured out there's mold under the walls in my bathroom, and workers will fix that in a week. But the question is about air purity and humidity. I mean, I thought about buying a dehumidifier, but it seems like dry air could hurt my jenday conure. Would the heater be better than the dehumidifier? The problem is I have no place for the cage and she (Sonya) was in the bathroom. But now, because of the mold, the cage is on the floor in the middle of my room. I thought about installing kind of the wall heater because these workers will partly remove the wall. So the final question is can bathroom heater avoid mold and not to hurt the lungs of my bird

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Heaters may contain PTFE... it just depends on brand/model. So one may or may not harm your bird.

I live in the desert so the air is pretty dry. I don't use a humidifier, but I probably should! Then again, most of my birds originate from dry, arid areas! (Australia and Africa!) I have two that don't, they're conures, too!

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
Hi! I started to post almost the same thread actually but saw yours. I figured out there's mold under the walls in my bathroom, and workers will fix that in a week. But the question is about air purity and humidity. I mean, I thought about buying a dehumidifier, but it seems like dry air could hurt my jenday conure. Would the heater be better than the dehumidifier? The problem is I have no place for the cage and she (Sonya) was in the bathroom. But now, because of the mold, the cage is on the floor in the middle of my room. I thought about installing kind of the wall heater because these workers will partly remove the wall. So the final question is can bathroom heater avoid mold and not to hurt the lungs of my bird
If you don't have a humidity gauge you should get one so you know what the levels are. I would get one for your bathroom and whatever room you are going to keep your bird. They say you want to keep your bird in 40-60% humidity and anything over 60% can causes mold growth. I have never used a dehumidifier but I would assume they have a way to monitor the humidity and shut off when they get in range. Just set it so that your place stays at about 40-50%.

Edit: I have to use a humidifier to get more moisture in my place but use a cheap one and just use a gauge to monitor it myself and shut it off when it gets to about 40-50%. It sounds like you have too much humidity in your bathroom anyway so start with a gauge so you better know what you need to do.

Last edited:

HoneyGold

Real Name
Paula
If you don't have a humidity gauge you should get one so you know what the levels are. I would get one for your bathroom and whatever room you are going to keep your bird. They say you want to keep your bird in 40-60% humidity and anything over 60% can causes mold growth. I have never used a dehumidifier but I would assume they have a way to monitor the humidity and shut off when they get in range. Just set it so that your place stays at about 40-50%.

Edit: I have to use a humidifier to get more moisture in my place but use a cheap one and just use a gauge to monitor it myself and shut it off when it gets to about 40-50%. It sounds like you have too much humidity in your bathroom anyway so start with a gauge so you better know what you need to do.
Look at these, please . I was talking about something like Broan from the list. That would save some space, at least. As I told you I don't have much of it. But as I understand it's better to order not even a gauge but dehumidifier with a thermostat, right? One of my friends have pythons at home and he has one of these things

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
I don't know about the heaters other than making sure they are PTFE free by calling as asking the company. I would get a gauge anyway just as a backup even if you buy a dehumidifier or whatever with a gauge built in.

I am kind of new to this stuff too so maybe someone else will have more experience with this to help you more. My issues was not enough moisture so a $10 humidity gauge and a cheap $15 Walmart humidifier/vaporizer was what fixed my issues.

genucr25

Real Name
Sarah
Are your birds acting okay? Just keep an eye on them for any problems. At the first sign of anything wrong, take them to the vet. If it’s been a while since you used the heater, they are probably okay.
yes they are fine. I gave away the humidifier