• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to double check

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
While i was in Family Dollar my b/f ran into the grocery store for me

and he bought me a bag of mixed nuts, I've been looking for some to make foraging toys for the birds.

But I want to double check I read the package and i'm 99.9% they're all safe

Company Name: Diamond
Sugar: <1G (if i remember right the "<" is less than)
Sodium:0

nuts: Walnuts,Pecans,Hazelnuts,and Almonds (all from the USA)
Brazil nuts (from Brazil)

they are the kind like you buy for Christmas and put in a dish with a nut cracker tool for people to munch on

looks like this

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I would say they were alright. Peanuts are out for me and when we did use them they had to be the roasted ones to make sure all fungi had been killed.
All already cracked packaged nuts are Ok providing they do not have any added salt etc. As natural as possible is my guide to buying any. :hug8:then you have to watch the quantity you feed them depending on the species of birds you have! Never ending but well worth looking into.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I figured they were safe, but wanted to be sure

they won't get them often it's just for some foraging toys on occasion

We buy already shelled peanuts For Billy every now and then - making sure the shell isn't black He will not eat a peanut if it doesn't have the shell on it and if you crack it open and give it to him he throws it and screams until you give him one that has not been pre opened

He never did get them often but he gets irritate when you remove the shell on him

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
I know its totally ridiculous but i'd spray them down lightly with cider vinegar just to get rid of any mold residue... the nut bins are rarely washed and there's all kinds of yucky dust flying around the plants.... otherwise the other thing you could do is simply wipe down with a slightly damp cloth and if you're not coming away with anything just assume they're safe... however the nuts themselves are all safe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I use those kinds of nuts. They are only available around here at christmas time?? Bummer. :D

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
I would check the ingredients. You'd be suprised at what kinds of thing there are in foods, even supposedly natural mixed nuts.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I use those kinds of nuts. They are only available around here at christmas time?? Bummer. :D
I think they're here all the time but i'm not sure never really looked for them before lol

I would check the ingredients. You'd be suprised at what kinds of thing there are in foods, even supposedly natural mixed nuts.

I did no sodium less than 1 gram of salt and thats about it

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That's a major Brand name, they should be safe.

di_dee1

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Di
I get packaged nuts/seeds/dried fruits, kinda like a trail mix here. It took a lot of looking at lists of ingredients till I found a good organic mix with none, supermarket even, lol.. I figured if the bird's wouldn't eat it, I would. I do not like open bins (yes atv, I know yours were packaged too) as you never know what is on hands that have been in them, sneezes, sprays used around them etc.

It is unusual to have them where I am but when I was in the states I watched people using hands to bag their stuff instead of the utensils, sneezing, coughing ewww. I even remarked on it to the people I was with but they said it was cheaper to buy that way.

Last edited:

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
Those are the ones I buy but I only give Fenway the almonds and pecans.
The walnuts are too big, the brazil nuts are too hard, and the hazelnuts are mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.