• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanted to share a little of my excitement

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Carrot and Capsicum have been accepted as food, or fun toys at least :D
20230308_143950.jpg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
And he is cute.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Working on getting him used to eating near me so he can associate me with lots of treats. He loves grapes!
View attachment 424952 View attachment 424950 View attachment 424951
@fashionfobie how much fruit do you give Pi?
Awe! He is so cute! :awww:

I suggest limiting him to one grape a day. Cut it into tiny pieces if you must. I consider grapes to be like cupcakes! When Pi was new I over did it with grapes and learnt my lesson! He vomited them up... too much sugar! Overall you can offer much more fruit than you would your budgies, but also add a lot of veg. I would say for the fresh stuff probably try for 90%veg-10% fruit. I am only referring to the fresh food portion, clearly you will also provide seed/pellet/nuts etc.

You can offer a wide range of veg and fruit. For fruit I would offer more tropical fruits than temperate fruits, like mango and papaya. Berries are also good. Pi loves passion fruit! In terms of treat worthy veg, Pi really like fresh beans: either snow, sugar snap or string beans. Pi will also do almost anything for sweet potato :) I hope this helps.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Awe! He is so cute! :awww:

I suggest limiting him to one grape a day. Cut it into tiny pieces if you must. I consider grapes to be like cupcakes! When Pi was new I over did it with grapes and learnt my lesson! He vomited them up... too much sugar! Overall you can offer much more fruit than you would your budgies, but also add a lot of veg. I would say for the fresh stuff probably try for 90%veg-10% fruit. I am only referring to the fresh food portion, clearly you will also provide seed/pellet/nuts etc.

You can offer a wide range of veg and fruit. For fruit I would offer more tropical fruits than temperate fruits, like mango and papaya. Berries are also good. Pi loves passion fruit! In terms of treat worthy veg, Pi really like fresh beans: either snow, sugar snap or string beans. Pi will also do almost anything for sweet potato :) I hope this helps.
I tend to avoid fruit all together for the budgies, Quarter gets to try a new one every now and then to keep him interested in trying new food (and I've been trying for month to work out his favourite treat, wanted to see if it was a fruit. 'Twas not :rolleyes:)
I am definitely limiting grapes, I did actually want to know the max amount he could have. He had half of one yesterday and 3/4 of a small one today.

Now that he is quite reliably eating veggies I'll start trying more variety :)
Pellets should also be arriving today so hopefully he'll be off a mostly seed diet soon (Provided he isn't stubborn ofc :fingerscrossed:).

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I tend to avoid fruit all together for the budgies, Quarter gets to try a new one every now and then to keep him interested in trying new food (and I've been trying for month to work out his favourite treat, wanted to see if it was a fruit. 'Twas not :rolleyes:)
I am definitely limiting grapes, I did actually want to know the max amount he could have. He had half of one yesterday and 3/4 of a small one today.
It is great to read you are limiting grapes, and you instinct seems good. A small amount goes a long way. I personally stopped offering Pi grapes daily. He does loves them, but now they are a once in a while treat. Have you tried blueberries?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
No, they're not a common food in this house, but you have reminded me we generally keep a packet of mix berries in the freezer. I think I even have frozen mango too.
Nice! :) I also buy the frozen dragon fruit at Woolies when I can't find a well priced fresh one. Pi will also eat dragon fruit.. but my parrotlets go nutty for dragon fruit! I think the cactus fruit takes them back to their S. American roots. They love the stuff.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
First, you ignore that I didn't edit out bars :p
Then you admire his beautiful face ofc!
And lastly you pull out your glasses and zoom in on that toy, chipped wood and chewed cardboard :woot2:
20230330_141413.jpg 20230330_141406.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
He’s so gorgeous

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Some photos that show off his colour mostly accurately :swoon:
20230403_154906~2.jpg 20230403_154905~2.jpg 20230403_154852~2.jpg
We had to go backwards a fair bit yesterday, cause his aviary was needing a serious clean. But I still believe he is calling to me (I always answer him, so I assume he's talking to me?). And these photos are not zoomed, cropped yes, but I was standing right by his aviary, so he's still somewhat comfortable to be around me.
He just adores his food, veggies and fruit included, I even think he's eating pellets! He also has taken to dropping his foot toys on the floor, so I take that as he is playing with them.

Unintentally I just realised it is exactly one month today :cheer: