• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanted to share a amazon parrot story..

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
So I don't usually post ads on Craiglist because it can be unsafe but I find alot of interesting things there. I posted about finding another lovebird hand fed lovebird. Well someone replied to my ad and said they were looking to rehome their yellow naped amazon for FREE and with cage I was super shocked because these birds are really expensive. I didn't want to say yes yet and really do research and get to know the breed and I also wanted to meet it. I have no experience with large parrots, only birds I really know are -- doves, lovebirds and parrotlets. Also to my surprise the owner was related to my sister-in-law so it made me feel more comfortable visiting! The owners were giving him up because his real owner had to go to a nursing home, and they lived together for 20 yrs and they were bonded which is super sad. So the owners son who is probably around 40 let his niece take him for a few weeks which her sister is my sister-in-law (actually knew her from high school too.)

So anyways, I was aware that he bites but I wanted to meet him anyways. I was there maybe a hour getting to know him. He looked like a sweetie too. He was clipped and stayed outside in like a outdoor porch with screens. I talked to him alot and he seemed to be very interested in me lol I did play like one video of a amazon and he was okay with it. But then I whistled at him and he turned his head so fast at me it was freaky and then he was really interested in me lol. The niece I don't think had alot of patience and time for him. He did step up on her arm and but then another time bit her hard really hard but she was sorta invoking it. But anyways I kept talking to him and whistling and then he like walked over to the cage lid and looked like he was going to fly over to me because he bent his head down low like he wanted to come over to me so I don't He made alot of amazing interesting noises, he was super entertaining!!

She was like "Please can you take him, please??" I felt so bad I wanted to but the breed takes alot of commitment and time which I don't have since I already work full time, have 2 cats and a dog already.
But I know someday I would love to be a owner of a large bird and just maybe when I am of old age, I just always found their clown personalities funny and they were always fun to me but like also when I have less pets and don't work as much!!

Anyways when I was leaving, I really didn't want to go and just hang out with this bird all day but I felt like Amanda was waiting for me to leave I felt like, the parrot was starting to leave his cage and then walk on furniture and started following me and wanted to leave with me. Then Amanda was like "Whoa, I've never seen him do this before, wow look he wants to leave with you!!"

So as I left, he started making more noises and he didn't want me to leave then as I left and wasn't in viewing he was screeching more and it got louder. I was so sad about it!

But I did give her a phone number of a lady that was always super nice to me and let her know this amazon was free and needed a home and she is going to pick him up this upcoming week, she lives 2 hrs away from me. I felt SO happy that they are able to take in this parrot because I read online they are one of the top birds that are rehomed alot. I also felt I really owed this lady at least because she gave me my first lovebird, Pri he was usually $65 but since he was my first bird and my bf was with me she gave me him for $25 and shes like don't tell people I did this for you, I just love seeing new bird owners. Then she gave me another parrotlet for $150 instead of $300 because he wasn't selling I guess, and it was a dilute turquoise parrotlet that I've always admired their marking colors and he was very nice too. So she raised and gave those birds love along with discounting them to me so I just feel really happy that she might either keep this boy, or find him a home. Just makes me feel really happy!!

I just have this feeling of just like feel good, success that this parrot is going to find a new home.

Here is a cool video of him, can anyone guess what his sounds mean? It always freaked me out when their pupils shrink when they talk just like macaws too lol!!

I also sorta regret not being able to have him sit on my arm but no idea his body language so I was alittle scared of him. xDD

some pictures of him too:

Last edited:

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
So around 54 seconds on this example video of someone elses amazon, thats the type of call he was making as I left to go to my car, what does that mean? He wasn't making this sound before, was this a please dont leave or just sad or what?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Glad he found a home. Thank you for helping him out.

Sounds like he didnt want you to go so he was trying to get your attention. My dad has a yellow nape Mason that is roughly 24 years old.... most likely will be my bird eventually since my sister is terrified of her. She doesn't bite me but I wouldnt ever fully trust her, Amazon are crazy little knuckle heads that can turn into ms bitey bitey with a flip of a light switch lol. Great talkers though.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I don't usually post ads on Craiglist because it can be unsafe but I find alot of interesting things there. I posted about finding another lovebird hand fed lovebird. Well someone replied to my ad and said they were looking to rehome their yellow naped amazon for FREE and with cage I was super shocked because these birds are really expensive. I didn't want to say yes yet and really do research and get to know the breed and I also wanted to meet it. I have no experience with large parrots, only birds I really know are -- doves, lovebirds and parrotlets. Also to my surprise the owner was related to my sister-in-law so it made me feel more comfortable visiting! The owners were giving him up because his real owner had to go to a nursing home, and they lived together for 20 yrs and they were bonded which is super sad. So the owners son who is probably around 40 let his niece take him for a few weeks which her sister is my sister-in-law (actually knew her from high school too.)

So anyways, I was aware that he bites but I wanted to meet him anyways. I was there maybe a hour getting to know him. He looked like a sweetie too. He was clipped and stayed outside in like a outdoor porch with screens. I talked to him alot and he seemed to be very interested in me lol I did play like one video of a amazon and he was okay with it. But then I whistled at him and he turned his head so fast at me it was freaky and then he was really interested in me lol. The niece I don't think had alot of patience and time for him. He did step up on her arm and but then another time bit her hard really hard but she was sorta invoking it. But anyways I kept talking to him and whistling and then he like walked over to the cage lid and looked like he was going to fly over to me because he bent his head down low like he wanted to come over to me so I don't He made alot of amazing interesting noises, he was super entertaining!!

She was like "Please can you take him, please??" I felt so bad I wanted to but the breed takes alot of commitment and time which I don't have since I already work full time, have 2 cats and a dog already.
But I know someday I would love to be a owner of a large bird and just maybe when I am of old age, I just always found their clown personalities funny and they were always fun to me but like also when I have less pets and don't work as much!!

Anyways when I was leaving, I really didn't want to go and just hang out with this bird all day but I felt like Amanda was waiting for me to leave I felt like, the parrot was starting to leave his cage and then walk on furniture and started following me and wanted to leave with me. Then Amanda was like "Whoa, I've never seen him do this before, wow look he wants to leave with you!!"

So as I left, he started making more noises and he didn't want me to leave then as I left and wasn't in viewing he was screeching more and it got louder. I was so sad about it!

But I did give her a phone number of a lady that was always super nice to me and let her know this amazon was free and needed a home and she is going to pick him up this upcoming week, she lives 2 hrs away from me. I felt SO happy that they are able to take in this parrot because I read online they are one of the top birds that are rehomed alot. I also felt I really owed this lady at least because she gave me my first lovebird, Pri he was usually $65 but since he was my first bird and my bf was with me she gave me him for $25 and shes like don't tell people I did this for you, I just love seeing new bird owners. Then she gave me another parrotlet for $150 instead of $300 because he wasn't selling I guess, and it was a dilute turquoise parrotlet that I've always admired their marking colors and he was very nice too. So she raised and gave those birds love along with discounting them to me so I just feel really happy that she might either keep this boy, or find him a home. Just makes me feel really happy!!

I just have this feeling of just like feel good, success that this parrot is going to find a new home.

Here is a cool video of him, can anyone guess what his sounds mean? It always freaked me out when their pupils shrink when they talk just like macaws too lol!!

I also sorta regret not being able to have him sit on my arm but no idea his body language so I was alittle scared of him. xDD

some pictures of him too:

He/she is very interested in you, IMO.
So around 54 seconds on this example video of someone elses amazon, thats the type of call he was making as I left to go to my car, what does that mean? He wasn't making this sound before, was this a please dont leave or just sad or what?

The screaching/honking is similar to Buddy's annoyed you left me noise.

The crying sounds like a kids crying. It's usually a learned behavior, unsure if it actually means crying tho.

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
He/she is very interested in you, IMO.

The screaching/honking is similar to Buddy's annoyed you left me noise.

The crying sounds like a kids crying. It's usually a learned behavior, unsure if it actually means crying tho.
Ah thank you!

Conure101

Sounds like he chose you as his owner lol.

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
:wideyed: WITH A CAGE INCLUDED?!
The cage was very sad looking it was not big enough at all for him, think of something like the looney tunes tweety’s cage but alittle taller, it was alittle taller than the bird itself, it looked so small, but he did have a perch outside of the cage and he could eat outside.

I know he was clipped so i wonder what would have happened if he would have attempted to fly to me, would he try to bite or want to sit on my arm lol

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Was the small round cage in the video his? Its great he has a home now :heart:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow, just gorgeous bird. I love that he fanned his tail along with his sounds. I hope it works out in his new home.

YNAs were always my dream bird, but I never got one.

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
I am getting updates from him making sure he goes to a home. The lady was gonna get him monday but shes sick so shes waiting till sunday. If it doesn’t work on I am considering taking him until they find a home but i would be way too nervous to let him out lol

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just remember Lauren, no one has ever been killed by a parrot. Although a bite can hurt, it quits hurting.

I would love to see you have him and get over your unreasonable fears.

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
Just remember Lauren, no one has ever been killed by a parrot. Although a bite can hurt, it quits hurting.

I would love to see you have him and get over your unreasonable fears.
It is true, I have alot of unreasonable fears, I wished I wasn't so afraid of alot of things. x'D
That is true wow, I never thought of it like that. x'DD