• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

want to rehome lovebird in british columbia

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketrocket

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sam
this is actually my first every post, unfortunately it is not a happy one.
ok here we go.

i have a male peach faced lovebird by the name of pocket that is about 12-13 years old. i have been considering rehoming/surrendering him on and off for the past 2 years, not because of any behavioural problems but because of mental health issues that have make caring for him stressful most days and often has me feeling apathetic towards him.

i am struggling to find the energy to clean the cage more than 3 times a week and at the moment he is maybe getting a total of 40 min out of cage time a week. sometimes its all i can do to change the water and throw some nutri-berries in the bowl. he is spending most of his time upstairs in my room alone, and has developed a screaming habit as a result and has also become a little bit temperamental and nippy when im reaching into his cage. i dont really care about these problems so much as i care that these problems are a symptom of him not getting his need met.

there have been weeks/months were i am able to provide 1-4 hours out of cage time everyday and optimal care but i have had to sacrifice progress in other areas regarding my mental health in order to achieve this and i cant keep it up for more than about 2-6 weeks before i crash and burn.

the ideal situation would be me just working past my problems and improving my routine but every time i try to do this i always eventually have some setback that puts me back at stage one. its been a few years of back and forth now and birdie has really seemed to lose some of his spark in the past four months or so.

so i want to find him a better home. one with a consistent routine and people who can actually love him all the time instead of just on their good days. the problem is i dont know where to start.

im in the lower mainland of british columbia and there is a bird rescue called greyhaven about 30 minutes away from me but i have visited before and there were so many birds and i dont want to add to that burden when there may be birds in much more dire situations that need a spot there. should i just email them anyway? would they even be willing to take a bird that is technically still having its physical needs met?

id really appreciate any advice i can get at this point. i just dont know what to do.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm sorry you are in this position!
It won't hurt to call or email Greyhaven. The worst they can say is no, they don't have room.
Maybe someone here can take him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry you have to rehome your lovebird, and I hope you can find a nice home for him!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Wish I was closer! Hopefully someone on here can give him a soft place to land

pocketrocket

Real Name
Sam
honestly i hadn't really considered someone on here being willing to take him. if someone did offer how should i approach the situation and vet them? would it be rude to ask to visit the persons home? or ask to have them come visit birdie to see how they interact? should i ask for a reference from their vet?

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I don't think it would be rude at all. I would ask for all the references you feel you need. I also have mental health and chronic illness issues. I am 90% of the time able to care for all my critters with no issues...but the past bit, I've not been as capable of cleaning and caring for my budgies as I normally am. I've had wicked migraines and started a new medication - no excuse, but between mental and physical fatigue (I have MS)...well...I get what you are saying and it's completely understandable. It's hard and you are doing the right thing - but don't be afraid to ask whatever you need to because the right person won't mind at all.

pocketrocket

Real Name
Sam
Thank you, that really means a lot, you have no idea.

Im planning on emailing greyhaven tommorrow (I want to take another day to really think it over and talk about it properly with someone first) and if they respond in the negative I'll make another thread with a proper bio for pocket and see what comes of it.

He really is the sweetest bird, and I just want to see him in a home where he'll get the care attention he deserves.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Reactions: lyx

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I am sorry you are going through all this, it seems we never can predict our life circumstances. I am way down in Florida, but I pray your fella finds a soft place to land and call home.

Status
Not open for further replies.