• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Want to prepare to breed budgies

Hillybee

Moving in
Real Name
Hilary
Hi there
Long time budgie lover, want to eventually breed them (pets not aviary).
Can you point me to some recommended reading sources to start getting me prepared?
Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
There are some good points in this article;

I think a good start would be researching online, finding (and buying) a good book written by an expert that you can use as reference, finding someone local who has knowledge of how to breed and can teach you handfeeding and give you advice on breeding and husbandry.

You will want to be sure your birds are not related, and are of good breeding age.
A health check up for the adults is needed to know whether they carry any hidden illnesses, and check nutrition. Your vet will be able to tell you if your birds need any supplements and guide you to be sure they are getting what they need.

When breeding, remember that should the parents no be able to rear the chicks for whatever reason, you must step in and raise those birds, so this means that from the eggs hatching, you must be there to monitor closely right up until the chicks are fully weaned.

As well as your time, be sure to have money set aside to pay for any vet visits needed, a nursery cage, a brooder, formula, syringes, disinfectant, supplements, heating equipment, hygrometer, thermometers, feeding spoons, cages for the birds once they grow out of the nursery cage (if you are keeping them).