• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

want to know if an IRN is right for me

JW23

Checking out the neighborhood
I was wondering if anyone had advice for me. I have never owned a bird before and I like the look and characteristics of Indian ringnecks and am thinking of getting one. If anybody has advice for me or thinks they are not starter birds please say something.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I like the looks of many birds but behaviours you have to live with are far more important to consider I think.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Have you read the good the bad and ugly Indian RINGNACKs it’s a good place to start and as a lot of peoples advise on them

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Maybe ask some questions about the things you want to know about to give other members a place to start.

Have you read up about all the changes most people need to make to their homes and habits before bringing birds home?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welcomegroup:

Hi ! Welcome to the forum! Awesome you found us and are interested in learning more.

Great group here, lots of experience.
It can be hard narrowing down species and taking the plunge into becoming a parrot.

Parrots are Incredible creatures, but difficult to live with. Messy , loud special considerations. So many get re homed. So we try dnd prepare people for the harder truths

JW23

Maybe ask some questions about the things you want to know about to give other members a place to start.

Have you read up about all the changes most people need to make to their homes and habits before bringing birds home?
Ya that is probably a good idea. I was mainly wondering about the bad things people had to say most of what I am worried about is the scream and how long does it go on for and how bad their bites are.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've only had my ringneck for 2 1/2 weeks, so take this with a grain of salt and remember that each bird is an individual:

- The noise isn't as bad as I expected. My ringneck does call out 4-6 times each morning, but then is pretty quiet for most of the day. He calls out once in awhile. (For perspective, I have an African grey who occasionally gets loud, so I'm used to bird noises.)

- When he gets excited he can start calling out several times in a row. I find his call far more tolerable than a sun conure, lovebird and many other species I've heard.

- He vocalizes more often than my grey. I'm lucky that my grey does not make any morning or evening calls. She is pretty quiet for a parrot, but can get loud when she wants and knows how to mimic plenty of annoying noises.

- My ringneck is 7 and has had two homes. He was handraised and was taken care of well in his previous home. He got a lot of attention and out of cage time, which I think helped with his good-natured attitude.

- He has never bitten me, so I don't know what their bites are like.

- Mine was quick to take food from my hand, fly to me from his cage for a treat, and is now flying to me for attention when there's no treat being offered. He's a great little bird.

- He's the third parrot I've adopted as an adult (he's 7; my other two were 17 and 6 when I adopted them), and he's been the quickest to take treats from my hand, fly to me, etc.

Good luck with your decision. Remember that each parrot is different.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
If you’re interested in owning a bird but have no experience with them I’d suggest seeking out a notable breeder and working with them for ‘any’ bird but especially for one like a IRN. You’ll have to ask the right questions because common knowledge for bird owners are the most difficult ones I’ve found to get answers to. There isn’t a right or wrong method, to be honest. What kind of time do you have for a ring neck?

JW23

Ya I heard someone say that volunteering at a shelter was also a good idea. I'm just having trouble finding a shelter or a breeder that is close to me, and I get my school done pretty early so I have a lot of time to spend with the Bird. Also thank you all for the advice.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Keep in mind that whilst in school things may work out great. But in a year or two you may start a career or move for a job, etc. Consider how your IRN would fit into your later stages of life. Birds can't be left alone. You may end up wanting 2 IRN or more so they have friends. Do you have an aviary or space for that? More birds also equals more happy chirping and squawking!

Do you have family or close friends who would offer to help with your bird if life changes?

I am a massive supporter of all things psittacula. They are highly intelligent, social and have lovely vocalisations. I adore their personalities. The main thing is to understand that physical touch is very stimulating for them, it is usually reserved for courtship and mating. They thrive with a respectful relationship, that can understand their unique body language and can understand that friendship takes many forms.