• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Want to know about yearly breeding clutches of different birds

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, I want to know about Cockatiel, Lovebirds, Pineapple Conure, Jenday Conure yearly breeding clutches. How many times in a year these birds can breed in cage?? Thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have moved your thread to the Breeders Boulevard

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
New to the forum so have no one vouching for me, but have lots of breeding experience. For those smaller species it should not be more than about twice a year to prevent egg-binding and exhaustion (larger birds only one). If you strive to have the maximum of two clutches per year it is important to provide a breeder diet that includes extra calcium and calories from sources such as breeder pellets, fresh cooked egg or powdered egg food, and a good seed mix once per day (sprouted if you can swing it). Spray millet is great for breeders but I recommend giving that particular favorite only in measured quantites each day so they still eat the other vital nutritional sources mentioned.

Have fun, love them, and keep asking questions!

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
Oh also, you may find that some of those smaller species will seem to "want to breed" more than recommended. It is important to stop them from doing so because they will NOT always know to stop breeding when they've done too much. You will need to remove the nest box and reduce their daylight hours to no more than 12 hours per day in order to take them out of breeding mode in many cases. Please do this between clutches so that your hens can have the longest and happiest breeding life possible! I move my breeders to my non-breeding room which has fewer daylight hours when they're done. Also remember that there are age limits to breeding which vary among species and can be Googled.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The breeder i got my conures from only breeds them once per year.