• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Walter's upcoming vet visit

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Ok, So Walter (my 39 year old TAG) will be going to his well visit vet appointment on the 16th and I was trying to figure out what questions I should ask as well as considering whether or not to have him DNA sexed. This is the first visit in a long time that I feel like he is healthy and strong again. I also don't know what the vet might consider from her end. We were only able to get in with a Avian Vet in the last couple of years and Walter was not in good enough health at the time to do any sort of optional testing (due to a hematoma that caused him to lose a fair amount of blood). He is now healthy and active, eating well, on. a good diet overall. He has finally started to put on a little weight (he was very lean) and his arthritis seems to be fairly well managed through his adapted cage, regular PT exercises and then occasional medicine when needed. He is nearly blind but the Vet has previously said there is not much to be done for that and frankly he has been that way for awhile. What may the vet suggest? What should I ask about? Also what is everyone's experience with sexing using a DNA sample? I don't want to stress and/ or risk him for anything but I am curious. Walter has Never laid an egg but his behaviors seem to lean ever so slightly female IMO.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad you are taking Walter to the vet. Many times our older birds get left out of vet care.

Your vet should give him a very thorough external exam. Eyes, ears, mouth, nasal, abdomen, wings, legs and feet. skin, feathers - everything. After that I would expect him to do an anal and mouth swab for a gram stain and exam by microscope for bacteria and fungus.

He may suggest a CBC (complete blood count) and Chem Panel (Blood chemistry). If he doesn't you should ask him why not. From these tests you vet should have a good idea as to your bird's health and whether he needs other tests such as an xray or electrophoresis.

The DNA test is bullet proof with no chance of harm to your bird.

You should ask every question you have and expect an answer to all - even if it is, "I don't know".

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Thank you so very much for your input. It will be very helpful when I go. Thank you also for the info on the DNA test. I do so want to know. Walter has really been thriving lately and I want to do everything I can to have him around another 40 years.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I'm so glad you are taking Walter to the vet. Many times our older birds get left out of vet care.

Your vet should give him a very thorough external exam. Eyes, ears, mouth, nasal, abdomen, wings, legs and feet. skin, feathers - everything. After that I would expect him to do an anal and mouth swab for a gram stain and exam by microscope for bacteria and fungus.

He may suggest a CBC (complete blood count) and Chem Panel (Blood chemistry). If he doesn't you should ask him why not. From these tests you vet should have a good idea as to your bird's health and whether he needs other tests such as an xray or electrophoresis.

The DNA test is bullet proof with no chance of harm to your bird.

You should ask every question you have and expect an answer to all - even if it is, "I don't know".
Can we make this a stickie?

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
That sounds awesome! Walter sounds like a really lucky bird! Be sure to write your questions down, before the visit, so that you don't forget anything...I hate driving home and thinking "oh shoot! I forgot to ask.....":birdance:

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
That sounds awesome! Walter sounds like a really lucky bird! Be sure to write your questions down, before the visit, so that you don't forget anything...I hate driving home and thinking "oh shoot! I forgot to ask.....":birdance:
I am the worlds worst for that. I think of a dozen questions, get in there and it's like my brain left me at the door. But then I get to talking to the vet about some small detail and forget the big questions. Sad thing is that I don't forget when the farm vet comes to me, just when I go to the vet.... maybe the critters are rubbing off on me.... Anyway, thank you to everyone for their suggestions. I am lucky to have had Walter for all these years and lucky that he has been overall healthy. It has not always been easy to find a vet that will take birds. When I first had Walter people didn't take birds to the vet. Thankfully Walter didn't need a vet until about 2 years ago and I was lucky because there is one only 30 minutes from my house. Of course now she is so busy that it literally takes a month to get an appointment.

Thanks everyone!

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
UPDATE! Walter's vet visit went very well. The doctor gave him a clean bill of health and all the tests came back perfect! The Vet did note that Walter stays on the lean side but he is healthy and maintaining his weight. (She did give him permission for some extra nut treats. ) She was very impressed with how much mobility and strength he has gained in his feet and how shiny his feathers looked. So thanks for everyones input!