• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Walnut cat litter

Gav

Strolling the yard
Back when I was taking care of my first large bird I used Kaytee walnut litter for the bottom of the cage, but I can't find it for sale in my area anymore. I use the NaturallyFresh walnut litter for my cat and I was wondering if anyone knows if it'd be safe to use for the birds as well?

If there's any doubts at all I'm going to find a different solution or try ordering the Kaytee litter online, but does anyone here have any info or opinion regarding this? Or about walnut litter in general that I don't know?

717WEeNyd3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg 95360_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1528210932_.jpg

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nope, I would not use that. It retains moisture and with that, provides ideal conditions for mould spores. In addition, you can't easily see droppings on it so may not notice problems.

I use white packing paper that I change daily. It's easily obtained from packaging companies and I can see all three parts of a healthy bird's droppings on it.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get moving paper from Dymon Storage. It's cheap & lasts a long time (~4 months for both cages).

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Since hardly anyone reads papers here naymore I have no access to it like I did many years ago.
I had severe anxiety on what to do but finally buying paper became just necessary.

Did butcher block rolls for a while. Now it does seem the precut moving plain newpaper is the best bargain.

I lucked out & someone threw out an entire new box of 400 sheets. The sheets are large & the box is very compact.
Much more easier to store than those times I unfolded mountains of crumpled moving paper after people moved in.

I would not trust crushed walnut shells for a birds safety. I'd be afraid they ate it or got it stuck in the airways plus as already mentioned the growth of bacteria. It can't be that economical & the moving paper is just so cheap & easy to use.

cheap moving boxes.com 400 sheet 20 lb plain newspaper 24 x 30 inch
This is the box I found new as a gift by the trash. Alost $30 but I think uhaul is cheaper but with free shipping I guess its not that bad as its heavy.

Packing Paper (200 Sheets) | U-Haul 200 sheets

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Nope, I would not use that. It retains moisture and with that, provides ideal conditions for mould spores. In addition, you can't easily see droppings on it so may not notice problems.
Yes. Birds can be very susceptible to things like fungal infections because they have such sensitive lungs/respiratory system. I would use a ink-leak-free newspaper. (check to see if the ink bleeds when liquid is applied to it because ink can have deadly chemicals in it) It is cheap and once you are done reading the paper you can re-use it for your bird.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I used that stuff for my cat ages ago. It is very light so it got everywhere. It was brown so it constantly looked like there was cat poop on the floor. Definitely not recommended for birds; if they flap their wings you will be very sorry.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I use Sanipet litter. It's been good for me so far and helps absorb poop, as well as keeping it visible so I can examine it if needed.

DerpsyDaisy

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
End rolls from your local newspaper are usually pretty cheap. Only thing is it is a pain to cut, but that's probably because I'm very particular about it fitting perfectly.