• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Wall Play Gym?

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Hello! This morning I was browsing a bird owner facebook group I'm in, and somebody had posted a photo of this wall perch/gym area they have for their cockatiels! I think it looks so awesome, and was wondering if anyone has ever made something similar to this. What type of materials should I use for the wood backing? *Not my photo!!!*

(The file was too big for the forum so I had to make a link!)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've seen some ideas like this and think awesome! Except most have more if the wall blocked away by the perch.
Because yes the will chew the walls!! Ughh mine have chewed walls behind furniture they sit on.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I've seen some ideas like this and think awesome! Except most have more if the wall blocked away by the perch.
Because yes the will chew the walls!! Ughh mine have chewed walls behind furniture they sit on.
Luckily my tiel does not seem to have any desire to chew walls at the moment, but I would definetely consider more coverage if I built something like this. What my guy does love to chew though is window blinds. No blinds are safe from his beak!:loltears:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Luckily my tiel does not seem to have any desire to chew walls at the moment, but I would definetely consider more coverage if I built something like this. What my guy does love to chew though is window blinds. No blinds are safe from his beak!:loltears:
Blinds ....omg... Yes I've had to place mine ...sbd take steps to keep them away !

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
The one thing I wonder about that play gym: the wood is dark. Is it stained?

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
The one thing I wonder about that play gym: the wood is dark. Is it stained?
I think it is, but this is not my play gym so if I recreated it myself I would be absolutely sure to only use bird safe materials. This one belongs to just some random person off of facebook who probably does not know about bird safety, honestly.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome idea. I would think untreated pine slats stainless steel hardware and bird safe natural perches.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Another thought. Make sure the slats are far enough apart so that the bird came get in and between them safely or that they are close enough that the bird can't get between them. You don't want them to get trapped. Also if they can get in there it might contribute to nesty behavior.