• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Walking the walk (with MC) **UPDATE**

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well I think when they have issues they can have a sudden thought come into their heads that sets them off all of a sudden and they lash out with out warning. When Lurch got here the very first night he was sitting on Nerds play stand and I was scratching under his chin and he was loving it. I was thinking this is going great and we'll be friends right away. SUDDENLY he just whipped around and tore a chunk out of the back of my finger and started talking and muttering to himself all worked up. I decided strangling him wasn't a good option and walked away swearing to fix my finger. It took about 5 years to mostly win him over and I got bit a lot between the good spots.
Nerd wasn't aggressive so we just became best friends for the rest of his life. He generally didn't bite without a reason I could understand and he trusted me completely with a few rules we both understood. If I broke the rules I might get a bite though he gave plenty of warning generally except for bare toes, he hated toes and had no clue they were attached to me.

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I hope your family heals from this loss in good time. Sorry I saw the update late...
Take things day by day. Think about your favorite moments.. even if there are tears.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I just came on and saw this. I am so sorry. The kindest thing you can do for MC was to let him not be in pain any more. Fly high MC!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just came on and saw this. I am so sorry. The kindest thing you can do for MC was to let him not be in pain any more. Fly high MC!
and one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life....

I miss him intensely.

Wthensler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler

I miss him intensely.
You were courageous to do what you did - put emotions aside and listen to your heart. It was the right move.

We had do put Mickey (DYH) down and it was really, really tough.

Of course you miss him intensely!

The pics and videos of MC will help bring back memories of all the joy he gave you!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa

I miss him intensely.
Of course you do. He was a special bird. I don't know about others but when one of the birds who is well known on this forum passes, I am also sad.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I had to put down Bugsy, my 30 year old Amazon, she may have been older, we don't know. She was wild caught like MC. We were buddies for 25 years, even after a year I tear up. I was looking for sunflower seeds for training and I was in Wal Mart. I saw the container of food I used to buy her. The tears just rolled down my checks and I thought omg what if someone sees me? I try to look on the positive side, her illness brought me to this sight. Yes, I lost her and I now have Paco. I never dreamed I would be buddies with a CAG. I still grieve her, I had to put her things away, I can't bear to look at them. I know its hard Clueless, time is the only thing that helps and keep him in your heart.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just catching up now. I'm so sorry Clueless. :sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2:
There really aren't words. You know what its like to love them when they're older. They grab your heart and twist.

Instead of "what ya doin" and "alright", I have a dog barking noise from Secret.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I always adopted older or rescue birds that had long history's of neglect. I wouldn't change it at all. To open your house to someone that's been placed in multiple homes to realize they are loved is a blessing so many people don't realize. Yes I lost my best friend Nikki a CFG to aspers broke me mental. We did what we could right until the end. She went downhill fast,and after I tried finding previous owners of managed to get a hold of two of them. Licorice and whipped they. An all seed diet and rid9over the rode with a semi driver most of the time. U

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Sorry to make so many spelling mistakes, I had a angry parroutlet on me...when will I learn to get them off me before I type! Now we have Billy and Howard and even though they're older and Howard has some medical problems you can tell they know how much we love them. You did so much for MC and gave him what all parrots need and deserve, love.

Wthensler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Mickey was an old, neglected bird that no one wanted. He flourished under our care for the two years he had left on this earth. What a grateful, loving, trusting member of our family he became!

We miss his melodious warble and his look of satisfaction after a home cooked meal (he loved my wife’s cooking!)

MC was quite a character and acted out of love and gratitude! I loved the pic of his ‘dead chicken’ routine.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Jeez, I just saw this. I'm SO sorry for your loss. You fought the good fight and let him go when he was ready. You couldn't have done anything else. You and Secret will need to find comfort in each other.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Jeez, I just saw this. I'm SO sorry for your loss. You fought the good fight and let him go when he was ready. You couldn't have done anything else. You and Secret will need to find comfort in each other.
He had a day of sunshine.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Im so sorry for your loss. He was a lucky guy to be with such a wonderful mom. I don't know what its like to lose a feathered friend like that but I do know what its like to lose someone to cancer and I feel for you. It took my mom last summer, my condolences and prayers to you and your family. he's flying high with you :sad7: :bighug:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge