• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Walking the walk (with MC) **UPDATE**

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Gosh, he really is a beautiful bird.....

I forgot to mention earlier, that our Moluccan once developed a tumor under her wing, which she started picking at (quite a hole!). The vet biopsied it, stated it appeared to be a carcinoma, and that we might want to consider putting her down (he cauterized the opening and we collared her). We couldn’t do it as we had just put Mickey down due to an unrecoverable stroke.

We didn’t, and low and behold, weeks later, the tumor started to shrink. Clearly it was not a malignancy, and it just goes to show that histology is not a precise science.

Everyone here at AA wishes you and MC the best, as we’ve all been following your saga.

I hope you cut the stinker a little slack now and then. Heavens knows, it’s not always easy!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yeah well, I have 2 stinkers.

Secret has jumped off her perch and walked over to his playstand. He goes down his plastic chain to dangle at the same time. Then they start the opera.
Hilarious. I don't dare let the two close to each offer for fear they'll hurt the other one.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad that MC is finding his Zon again! He loojs so proud of those pretty feathers in your pics! TY for sharing the news.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well that certainly is good news. Hopefully he continues on a good path and gets better. He certainly looks happy and healthy :xflove::dance4:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sad update.

Easter weekend he had episodes of non responsiveness. I thought it was a reaction to radiation and contacted vet. MC snapped out of it and we kept going.

While we watched Phantom over a week ago, it occurred again. He sits and doesn't move. At all. Didn't eat. We took him back to IL on Tuesday. We thought it was effects of radiation, maybe his throat was sore?

Vet did a blood test to check for infection. Liver values off the chart. He couldn't make it through a biopsy and as they aborted that procedure, they did a fine needle aspiration. Result was cancer has taken his liver. He's had a dose of L-Spar, been fed by syringe up there, had fluids, etc.

We've spent thousands on medical care.

The next step would be chemo at an estimated 4 to 5,000 price tag with no possible cure per the oncologist. 6 months of treatments....6 hour drives once a week that MC would have to endure. If cancer goes into remission, oncologist said it would be back. He couldn't say if it would extend his life very long, if at all. There is very little known about cancer treatments for parrots. Dogs and cats, info available.

We brought MC home last night. He did a lot of beak grinding, escaped his cage (I opened door and he bolted for the top so we let him), did dead chickens in his travel cage (he fell earlier off his perch and he's so tired but he did it anyway).

Monday I'm to call IL and tell Dr. Welle his condition.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh, Clueless. I am so very sorry.

You have done all a person could possibly do. Chemo would be too difficult on MC; you’re making the right decision.

:sadhug2: :sadhug2::sadhug2:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
MC looks to you to look out for his best interests... You're a wonderful parront!!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no! :shakehead: I’m so very sorry to hear this.:( He is a very lucky bird to have someone like you who knows what is best for him, no matter how difficult. Hang in there, I know your heart must be breaking.
:sadhug2:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Sad update.

Easter weekend he had episodes of non responsiveness. I thought it was a reaction to radiation and contacted vet. MC snapped out of it and we kept going.

While we watched Phantom over a week ago, it occurred again. He sits and doesn't move. At all. Didn't eat. We took him back to IL on Tuesday. We thought it was effects of radiation, maybe his throat was sore?

Vet did a blood test to check for infection. Liver values off the chart. He couldn't make it through a biopsy and as they aborted that procedure, they did a fine needle aspiration. Result was cancer has taken his liver. He's had a dose of L-Spar, been fed by syringe up there, had fluids, etc.

We've spent thousands on medical care.

The next step would be chemo at an estimated 4 to 5,000 price tag with no possible cure per the oncologist. 6 months of treatments....6 hour drives once a week that MC would have to endure. If cancer goes into remission, oncologist said it would be back. He couldn't say if it would extend his life very long, if at all. There is very little known about cancer treatments for parrots. Dogs and cats, info available.

We brought MC home last night. He did a lot of beak grinding, escaped his cage (I opened door and he bolted for the top so we let him), did dead chickens in his travel cage (he fell earlier off his perch and he's so tired but he did it anyway).

Monday I'm to call IL and tell Dr. Welle his condition.
Awwww, noooooo! So sorry, I like MC! I'm so sad right now.
We all try to do everything possible for our birds, I'm hoping for a better out come for MC.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry. You've fought so hard for him. I hope that the time you have left with him is full of love.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's a hard walk.

God gave me a fabulous buddy for many years, I need to be grateful and thankful for that. Many people never know the bond.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm so sorry, prayers coming for you in the coming weeks. That has to be so hard. I hate that for you both. :( Just know you tried everything you possibly could to help him and make his quality of life better. He knows you love him.