• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Waiting on mobile Vet to come here constipated cat!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I got home last night around 9. Fed the cats, and dogs. By 9:30 Nitto, my black 15 plus year old threw up.

By 10 he's in the kitchen and I see him trying to poop! What??!!

So I watch him, he's trying to go. Dribbles of liquidy you know, a alittle blood too. I examine his thing and it's swollen. Not sure what's going on.

Called my normal mobile Vet, she isn't in the office today. So they refer me to another. I was told yo give mineral oil, don't have. I wiped coconut oil on his you know hoping he would lick it and get some oil in his GI.

Well he didn't want to eat this morning. So he's in a bathroom for now.

I will update after the Vet gets here. I am thinking after an enema, he will feel alot better!

Hoping it's an old age thing. I tried canned pumpkin, he wouldn't touch his food. So going forward I will add a fiber to his wet food.

Ugh. Not needed today!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
This is the most gross thing ever!

Vet left, he's moving the nasty stuff it's like water. I am so grossed out, have been cleaning up as it goes.

Help! I am not good with this :shocked4::barf:needless to say, he's not getting the laxative she left anytime soon! I wish I knew how long it takes for his little GI tract to be empty and stop the urge to poop! :ashamed3::chin::barf:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aww not fun for either of you. Does this kitty eat mostly dry foods? Glad you got the problem taken care of.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Poor kitty!!! You are such a good Mommy!

Also, might I suggest a good clothespin?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well, I think he's emptied out! I will give him sub Q fluids tonight. I have to go into work :( going in late, used up my emergency time today.

He's out of the bathroom, it's all clean now. He's sitting in the sun, hunched over like cats sit with feet under them. He's content. I am sure not happy. But she feels there is no blockage.

I was up late last night or early morning for 2 hours with him before he rested next to me.

Well, now I have a headache! I love this boy. Very sweet cat, showed up in FL in 2004 after a hurricane. Walked in the house and just laid down. He was home with us!

Update later, and yes @ladyjane dry food always moistened with water. And he eats canned too.

Time to add metamucil!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's always such a worry when they aren't well. Hoping the vet was right about no blockage. I watched an episode on one of the vet shows recently with someone who had a cat that was constipated and now I can't remember which one it was... might have been the CYFair animal hospital in Texas. And... I don't remember what caused the blockage either but pretty sure they did an xray and didn't see anything... might have done an enema but in the end he was all better. Hoping the same for your kitty! Sorry you had to deal with all the mess! You're a great kitty-mommy!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Love My Zons When I sat for my grandbunny I was worried about that issue. With bunnies it's a different food you give.

Was it pineapple?

I'd have to Google. Maybe there's a different food for cats too.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Love My Zons When I sat for my grandbunny I was worried about that issue. With bunnies it's a different food you give.

Was it pineapple?

Probably banana... but guessing.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like these from chewy have a BPA free liner. I did see pumpkins in the grocery store... could do your own!
So do I! I have tried to do my own and it turned out watery as compared to the store bought canned. I found out after the fact that you have to use the small pumpkins not the large decorative Halloween ones.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So do I! I have tried to do my own and it turned out watery as compared to the store bought canned. I found out after the fact that you have to use the small pumpkins not the large decorative Halloween ones.
Yes... they have to be the baking pumpkins. I know I saw the bigger ones but haven't been to the Kroger to see if they have the baking ones yet. Spagetti squash would probably be good as they seem to have a lot of fiber.. might have to season it with some cinnamon or add it to a little wet cat food to make it interesting to eat for a cat. Spices have really helped my birds be more interested in eating vegetables.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thinking of you and hoping all starts to flow normally for your kitty.
Our old kitty had mega colon and we tried every medication available for a long time till we finally found the right mix of things to get her bowels moving more regularly and naturally .....be careful using enemas too often as it can cause more of a problem with dehydration then your'e in a catch 22 where they are having to give fluids to help with the side effects of dehydration, also enemas are often very painful for them while the enema medication is working (can also cause severe vomiting). We ended up with a prescription medicine and adding a safe stool softener (with no flavor) to our cats food.

I have to take my old dog to the vet today as he is really not doing well at all and seems to not know who I am today ( I am just hoping it is not as bad as I am thinking it is ).....anyway I can ask the vet what the name of the prescription medication was if you like and also post a picture of the stool softener we finally had great success with if it will be of any help to you.

Wishing you all the best for your kitty.....constipated kitty is not good and neither is having to be the one to clean up after the blockage has moved- I really feel for you both as I remember it all way too clearly unfortunately :barf:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It's always such a worry when they aren't well. Hoping the vet was right about no blockage. I watched an episode on one of the vet shows recently with someone who had a cat that was constipated and now I can't remember which one it was... might have been the CYFair animal hospital in Texas. And... I don't remember what caused the blockage either but pretty sure they did an xray and didn't see anything... might have done an enema but in the end he was all better. Hoping the same for your kitty! Sorry you had to deal with all the mess! You're a great kitty-mommy!
I will be home soon to see him. I hope he eats tonight. He didn't eat since last night and threw that up. I bet he's hungry by now.

Was it pineapple?

I know for bunnies chamomile will stop diarrhea. I am not sure about to relieve constipation.
Probably banana... but guessing.
Glad kitty is feeling better. My condolences to the cleanup team.

Canned puréed pumpkin, just the plain kind, regulates either diarrhea or constipation. I just buy from the grocery store but Chewy.com does carry it.

https://www.chewy.com/nummy-tum-tum-pure-organic-pumpkin/dp/35533
It wasn't a fun experience at all. I tried canned pumpkin early this morning in his food, mixed with water. He had no part of it.

Thinking of you and hoping all starts to flow normally for your kitty.
Our old kitty had mega colon and we tried every medication available for a long time till we finally found the right mix of things to get her bowels moving more regularly and naturally .....be careful using enemas too often as it can cause more of a problem with dehydration then your'e in a catch 22 where they are having to give fluids to help with the side effects of dehydration, also enemas are often very painful for them while the enema medication is working (can also cause severe vomiting). We ended up with a prescription medicine and adding a safe stool softener (with no flavor) to our cats food.

I have to take my old dog to the vet today as he is really not doing well at all and seems to not know who I am today ( I am just hoping it is not as bad as I am thinking it is ).....anyway I can ask the vet what the name of the prescription medication was if you like and also post a picture of the stool softener we finally had great success with if it will be of any help to you.

Wishing you all the best for your kitty.....constipated kitty is not good and neither is having to be the one to clean up after the blockage has moved- I really feel for you both as I remember it all way too clearly unfortunately :barf:
I hope to never have to do this again. If this happens again, this type thing will happen at the Vet, not my house! I think I am damaged by this today. Just Eew!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiya Claire! Sending healing thoughts for your fur baby! Did they give you Cat Lax. It sort of looks like a tube of tooth paste? If so, when it is time...
Some kittys like it w/ the tube feeding them. Some like to lick it off a finger or you have to put it like in their front teeth (hated having to do that). Some like it warm, Some like it refridgerated. We had a cat who had & remissed from type 2 diabetes. That kitty wasn't allowed to have it during the sugar issues & we were told to feed her plain vaseline as that is what it was as the base of the laxative. We never did it but in a pinch, plain vaseline is what that vet recommended.

:sadhug:
Try to get some rest after all that cleaning! My heart goes to you :heart:. A true pet parrent:heart2:needs a little love too!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well I got home, no mess at all praise the stars above! I fed him, he ate very little. I will give him some sub Q fluids after I get the birds food ready for the morning.

I am glad today is almost over. He's chilling in the guest bath tub. I guess he feels safe in the hiding spot. I hope he's feeling better by tomorrow.

Thank you all for the well wishes!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Glad he's doing better! Hope his appetite comes back again tomorrow. Poor guy had a rough day!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Glad he's doing better! Hope his appetite comes back again tomorrow. Poor guy had a rough day!
Me too! I hate seeing him appear so miserable. Cats are clean animals so having a mess on you that stinks is miserable. I gave washed his legs, tail and private area. Atleast he is clean and smelling better!

HALLELUJA!!!! No poopies!!!! :D
I spoke to soon! A few little messes in the guest bathtub. Well, the good thing is it washes down the drain!

I'll update on my boy in the morning.