• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Waiting on foals

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I never really talk about my "other" kids... but I train horses and live on a farm.
So my landlord has 6 broodmares and I have 3. This year I only had one bred (she's due in May) but his are all due now...
His first one ruptured a uterine artery and twisted her intestine and left her foal an orphan :sorrow:
But the baby is doing fantastically and is 3 weeks today.
The next one is 2 weeks on Saturday and then we have a week old colt on Saturday.
And tonight I'm waiting on one to foal, possibly two but I don't think cat will go. Joy will go tonihjt or tomorrow as she waxed yesterday and is producing milk.
IMG_9003.JPG
The orphan when she was only a day old... I need an updated pic cuz she's huge now.
IMG_9019.JPG
I love this little dude he's so independent but his momma hasn't had a baby before and she has NO control over him...
IMG_9014.JPG
This guy was/is huge this was a day old.. momma brassy didn't want pics taken as this is her 9th baby and she's very protective...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are very beautiful.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Thanks! I am hoping joy and cat go soon... staying up all night and waitressing dinner shift and taking care of my 15 and my other animals... :sleeping:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I love them when they are little like that. I raised orphan one when I was kid (15). slept every night out in the barn with her. she was hand full and then some. the neighbor down the road was going to put her down, I threw a major full on fit about it. called my gr'dad asking if I could bring her home with b/4 mr. cranky pants, the neighbor got the gun out. Gr'pa said yes and she was mine. I had her for 12 years. she was terrified of thunderstorms and got left out in the pasture. I lost her on the dark stormy night.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww, such pretty babies.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Oh I just love baby time ..your so lucky :laughing12:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2:

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
We have the foal cams at work. The entire staff has access and we have an alert system. :)

We also have the collars that alert on prone position but we catch them before those alerts. :)
I have one camera but never put it up because originally my landlords family friend was staying with him and they were "on duty" for the first mare (the orphan) and now she's getting fed so often anyways a camera is useless lol and I'm watching two currently.
When my mare foals In may I'll put it up though.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
We have the foal cams at work. The entire staff has access and we have an alert system. :)

We also have the collars that alert on prone position but we catch them before those alerts. :)
we call ours " LamCam" . we have Wi-Fi cams set in and outside the barn so we can watch the ewes that are in labor outside. we can bring them in to the barn & then be ready if need be to help.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
OMG still waiting on two maidens who waxed days ago..... :cantsleep::sleeping3:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
how long after they wax normally b/4 the foals are born ??

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Normally within 2-3 days... but maidens have their own ideas about things...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok, I'm lucky my mare is well past the age of having babies, I think. according the vet, she is in her late20's. plus there is stallion in the same paddock, they doing the wild thing but she has never had any signs of carrying a foal. she is rescue that was horribly abused, she lost the sight in one eye from god awful barn that she was abandon in. I walked her out of that nasty barn along with 3 others. they were starving to death in hoarding situation.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/cat-hoarder-house-graphic-pics.144322/#post-2061425

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I hope they both have their foals soooooooooooooooooooon

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
I don't think I could handle the stress of foaling! There are so many things that can go wrong for Momma and baby. Hope everything goes well for your mares!

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Yup but more goes right than wrong!
(Percentage wise)- it's just like everything else in horses when it goes bad it goes big

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
@Doublete Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed the cam that you had on last year (or maybe two years ago). That one baby is really big just like you said. Hope things go smoothly and quickly for you.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
@Doublete Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed the cam that you had on last year (or maybe two years ago). That one baby is really big just like you said. Hope things go smoothly and quickly for you.
I moved to a new place and setting up the camera isn't as feasible unfortunately, but also since I'm watching multiple mares and only have 1 lol...
thought for sure one mare was going into labor she was so uncomfortable last night but she seems insistent not to have her baby...