• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Waiting for my new Cape Parrot

Oma321

Checking out the neighborhood
I am in Idaho and waiting for the weather to break so our new parrot can be shipped from Ca to us. This bird is ten month old , but he looks older. His feathers are dull but otherwise he looks fine. Is he too old for a healthy new diet? My husband does not think the parrot looks good. Please advise me — we spend a lot of our savings. Thank you very much, Oma 321

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have a link to where you bought your bird?

As to diet changes, never too old! My Jardine's (Cape Parrot cousin) was 19 years old when I got him; he was on a seed only diet and while it took time, he is on a variety of pellets, nuts, and veggies now :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup: Congrats on the new bird!!!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Welcome!

It's never too late to get a parrot on a healthy diet, and many will make the transition over time or much quicker than expected. However, if a parrot is much older and has had a bad diet for most of its life, that can cause longterm health issues even with a change in diet.

It sounds like you're also asking whether you have been duped into buying an older parrot. Do you have pictures or a link to the seller?

Good luck.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You've had several good insights into diet, so I won't go there. Keep in mind that photos often don't do justice to parrots' actual appearance. Sharing info on your breeder will ultimately be of no benefit. You'll need a vet visit soon after you get your bird; that will tell you a lot more about your bird's health than any photo or our opinions. Good luck with your new bird. Share photos, please.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
A contract for a parrot from a breeder should allow for you to take them for a vet visit to check initial condition.
Hopefully you have found an AVIAN vet and will have an appointment lined up no matter what the case.

Oma321

Welcome!

It's never too late to get a parrot on a healthy diet, and many will make the transition over time or much quicker than expected. However, if a parrot is much older and has had a bad diet for most of its life, that can cause longterm health issues even with a change in diet.

It sounds like you're also asking whether you have been duped into buying an older parrot. Do you have pictures or a link to the seller?

Good luck.
Thank you for answering I do have a picture which I will attach. Perhaps I should not give away the name of the Breeder. My feelings might be not right and I do not want to hurt the Breeder. Oma321

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Young birds can have some disheveled looking feathers, that is normal. There isn't anything in your photo that is immediately alarming; none of the colors in the photo, even on the person's shirt are very vibrant, so I would have a hard time using these as proof that the feathers look dull. I think the lighting, focus, and/or camera is just bad.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Last edited:

Oma321

You've had several good insights into diet, so I won't go there. Keep in mind that photos often don't do justice to parrots' actual appearance. Sharing info on your breeder will ultimately be of no benefit. You'll need a vet visit soon after you get your bird; that will tell you a lot more about your bird's health than any photo or our opinions. Good luck with your new bird. Share photos, please.
Wonderful advice, thank you very much!! Tomorrow I will check for an Avian Vet in Spokane, Wa or CoeurD’Alene near us. I needed to do that anyways before bringing our sweet bird home. Oma321

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Don't just get a well-bird check. For most vets, that just entails weighing the bird, giving it the once-over, and maybe looking at the poop. Get a gram stain, a coanal swab, and blood work. Then you'll KNOW your bird's health. You've spent thousands on a parrot; you need to know the condition of its health. Good luck with your bird.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The reason I didn't want to know the name of your breeder was because the "horse was already out of the barn," so to speak. If the breeder had a less-than-stellar reputation, you'd have freaked out, possibly needlessly. If the breeder had a fabulous reputation, you still could have a bird with a low grade infection or something similar, which is common after shipping. If you decide on another parrot in the future, it wouldn't hurt to name the breeder: some people here might have experience with them or know their reputation, which could save you future heartache.