• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Vomiting clear liquid and a sticky head (sad update #43)

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi guys. My 2 year old cockatiel has woken up with a sticky head. I thought he had just dipped his head in a bowl and let him out as normal. My daughter then said he sneezed on her, but there was a large amount of clear liquid. Oxo looked fine, and I put him back in his cage and to a quiet area to rest. As soon as he was there, he was his normal self, singing crawling on the bars to me to be let out. I left him in his cage, and about 30 minutes a go he began bobbing his head up and down, and then shaking his head side to side, and I watched a large amount of clear drool come out of his beak. Other than that, hes been completely normal, eating, drinking, and singing (I havent manage to observe any droppings to see if they're normal). I have booked him in with the vet tomorrow morning, but I'm wondering if there is anything to recommend. Am I better letting him rest, or to continue his normal routine, something he seems eager to do. But I'm aware vomiting isnt a good sign so just want the best to aid recovery before the vet visit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad you have an appointment for tomorrow. Keep a close eye on him in case there are any further changes. Is everything normal in the house, no candles, teflon, air fresheners, etc. Is everything he has been chewing on, safe? Please let us know how he's doing?

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Thanks Karen. He hasn't vomited since this morning and is completely normal. I'm still going to take him tomorrow as I cant ask him is hes actually ok, or it's just masked. He has had his normal treats and play stand, with no air fresheners etc, I dont use them since having oxo. The only thing I have introcducted is a chilli two days ago, but he had the tiniest bite and didnt bother after that. I'll keep posted on the vet appointment. Thanks

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am glad you are taking him to an avian vet. Outside chance it could be a yeast problem. Vet can test for that with a gram stain.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi all, just an update to Oxo, he was even messier when he woke up today, and after a visit to a 'normal' vet, they referred me to an Avian vet. I couldnt go in with Oxo and had to wait in my car, but the vet said he was 85 grams, has a clear crop and wasnt blocked, seems happy and was singing to their radio in the surgery. He did say Oxo has alot of liquid at the back of his throat which could be either bacterial or viral. They have given me 5 x Nystatan (0.07ml per treatment) and 5 x Emeprid Seuspension (0.08ml per treatment) so that should be fun! Im still concerned as he is sleeping ALOT today, but he is still eating intermittently and his stools remain normal, although they have become a little more watery than normal. I havent seen him drink yet today. The vet has said to contact them in 7 days for a checkup, or for me to re-visit them should he get any worse.

Thanks for your help again.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi @Karen, I overlooked something you posted about Teflon. Could you tell me a bit more what you meant by that? I do have a Teflon pan, although thats used about once a month as I use a grill. Could that pose a threat?

Thanks

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Teflon products can cause issues and I would recommend not using those. Replace them with non PTFE and non PFOA products.
It's good that you got Oxo to the vet and hope he will be 100% soon. Did the vet do a culture (oral swab) or just a visual examination?
The Nystatin is an anti-fungal and the Emeprid an antiemetic to treat vomiting. If the issue is bacterial nothing was provided for that.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Thanks for that information @iamwhoiam. I will bin the pan, and use an alternative just in case. Its only used about once a month, but I wasn't aware that could pose an issue.

I might have gotten mixed up with bacterial then, he said he would treat this, and move into viral if no improvement, I assumed bacterial. He didnt take any swabs, just heart rate, lungs and weight, then checked him over and said he put something in his mouth to check his throat. I couldnt be in the examination due to the current hygiene issues, so had to wait in my car and consult the vet through the window.

As would have it, hes really perked up since home, he took the medication really well, biting on the syringe and lapping it all up. Hes currently jumping between me and his play stand, although a little less vocal than usual.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all, just an update to Oxo, he was even messier when he woke up today, and after a visit to a 'normal' vet, they referred me to an Avian vet. I couldnt go in with Oxo and had to wait in my car, but the vet said he was 85 grams, has a clear crop and wasnt blocked, seems happy and was singing to their radio in the surgery. He did say Oxo has alot of liquid at the back of his throat which could be either bacterial or viral. They have given me 5 x Nystatan (0.07ml per treatment) and 5 x Emeprid Seuspension (0.08ml per treatment) so that should be fun! Im still concerned as he is sleeping ALOT today, but he is still eating intermittently and his stools remain normal, although they have become a little more watery than normal. I havent seen him drink yet today. The vet has said to contact them in 7 days for a checkup, or for me to re-visit them should he get any worse.

Thanks for your help again.
Excellent idea to get rid of the teflon. If over heated the fumes will kill parrots. So glad you were able to get him right in. The meds should help soon. Nystatin is an antifungal medication. If he's not feeling better in the 7 days or gets worse you may want to have some swabs and cultures done. Sending good thoughts that this does the the trick and he's feeling better soon. It's very normal for them to be tired after a trip to the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that he is doing a bit better. Keep us updated.
My vets are doing the same thing, not allowing clients inside. One of my vets consults via cell phone after the examination and another comes outside to speak with clients. With so many places opening for business now I'm wondering when vet offices will allow people inside again.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Thanks guys, the Teflon pan is binned. I heard Oxo singing this morning for the first morning in days, and he wasnt sticky! Looks alot better today, possibly due to not vomitting since the medication. Hes still really sleepy and puffed up, but hes cleaning himself alot and seems more himself :fingerscrossed:

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hey everone, Oxo is getting hospitilized at 4pm at the Rutland in St Helens. I cant believe it. He seemed like he was picking up, yesterday, he was pretty much himself (although a little quierter) but he was eating broccoli, millet, his seeds, drinking and flying about from me to the playstand and getting sctraches on his head. Then today when he woke up, he was awfully sleepy, puffed up and sticky. Then I watched him go sick, flick his head and half digested seeds mucus stuck to his wings, cage and me. I weighed him on some scales yesterday (they arent the best) and he registered 74 grams. Down from 85 grams Monday, although I cant be sure of the accuracy of the new scales. He was also 74 grams at the same time today, seeming to hold that weight for two days. He is still on his anti-fungal and anti-sickness, but has all but stopped eating today. He has had a few normal looking droppings this morning, and ate the tiniest amount of millet, followed by a big drink of water and more slimy clear liquid flicked from his mouth, containing no seeds. I'm proper gutted writing this, but will keep you updated in case someone has some advice or it benefits someone in future. The vet said he will be doing some blood tests on Oxo on this visit, but keeping him for further tests. He hasnt asked, but I have collected his most recent droppings, and managed to get some of the slimy mucus on a tissue, I have no idea if the tissue will be of any help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry that he got worse. It sounds like the hospital is definitely the best place for him to be right now. Sending prayers that he's better soon.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I hope he gets better soon!
:sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please keep us updated on how he is doing and what test are being done. Just a side question, have you fed him and fresh corn lately?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your vet gets to the bottom of this. With persistent vomiting I’m always suspicious of any possible heavy metal toxicity.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi guys, theyre x-raying him and doing blood tests on him. Hi @Karen , what could cause that? How do birds get heavy metal toxicity? If its the teflon pan, I dont think its that as its used so infrequently. The vet hasnt confirmed, but I'm not sure if it was persistant vominting as it was always a clear liquid, up until the seeds mucas yesterday. I just want to make sure I have the house safe for his return, I have literally checked eveything and cant find any chew marks on anything. I dont have any candles or use air freshners, but I do have a room diffuser in the bedroom upstairs, but thats in a room with a door shut, and upstairs, where Oxo never goes. Ive binned the defuser from the bedroom to be safe though. Other than that, Oxo has a new PVC furniture made playstand, that has been wrapped in vet tapes, with several metal curtain looking hooks for his toys.

Hey @Lady Jane , Oxo hasnt had any fresh corn; his diet is seed / pellet / millet / broccoli / apple / cucumber. Those are the things he enjoys to eat on the regular. The vet is due to call me in the next 45 with an update of how hes getting on been stabilised. Thanks again for all your help and input.

Reactions: Ali

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hey everyone, hopefully a final update! I have oxo home!

The vet said he never vomited or regurgitated all Saturday, Sunday and today. Hes gained a gram in weight, upto 75 from the 74 on sunday. Hes still on the anti fungal treatment and the vet says hes responding well to his current treatment and didnt feel the need to knock him out to do bloods and a scan with the progression.

Thanks very much for all of your input, I've learnt a few things, and have read up on teflon and metal toxicity to keep him healthy in future.

Pics enclosed, not sure who's happier, me or Oxo! Screenshot_20200615-170602_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20200615-170547_WhatsApp.jpg