• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Vomiting clear liquid and a sticky head (sad update #43)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wonderful update! I´m so glad Oxo is home! And such a lovely picture of you both! I cannot decide who looks happier :loveshower:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the great update. Nice that Oxo is back home and doing better. Cute photos!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent news!! Love your picture ❤

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi guys, I'm afraid Oxo went downhill again yesterday. I have taken him to the vets today, and they have taken bloods and performed x-rays.

I have just had a phone call and they have said they are suspecting a disease and he he has an enlarged liver

I am going to pick him up today, and to continue with the anti fungal medication until the bloods come through. I really struggled to understand the vets accent as he speaks so quickly, but he said it was something called GTD or GDD, which he said is progressive and Oxo will only be able to be relieved of symptoms. Does anyone know anything about this? The vet said he will speak more to me face to face.

What's the outlook for Oxo is he does have that disease? And what would the on going costs be? And would Oxo be in pain

So far I have spent £550 for the diagnosis, and I'm afraid I wasnt respoinsible and havent got him insured, but I'm at the bottom of my funds so any help, guidance and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks (again)

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi, just to add to the above, the vet said he also gave Oxo something whilst he was knocked out to observe his digestive system, he said it showed slowing in his gut and also his crop wasnt the best. I'm going to see him in 90 minutes, so I'll fill in anything I missed / mishead

Thanks

• Wow
Reactions: Ali

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hi guys, I'm afraid Oxo went downhill again yesterday. I have taken him to the vets today, and they have taken bloods and performed x-rays.

I have just had a phone call and they have said they are suspecting a disease and he he has an enlarged liver

I am going to pick him up today, and to continue with the anti fungal medication until the bloods come through. I really struggled to understand the vets accent as he speaks so quickly, but he said it was something called GTD or GDD, which he said is progressive and Oxo will only be able to be relieved of symptoms. Does anyone know anything about this? The vet said he will speak more to me face to face.

What's the outlook for Oxo is he does have that disease? And what would the on going costs be? And would Oxo be in pain

So far I have spent £550 for the diagnosis, and I'm afraid I wasnt respoinsible and havent got him insured, but I'm at the bottom of my funds so any help, guidance and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks (again)
I'm so sorry. I'm afraid I don't know, but I'll tag some people. @enigma731 ? @Birdbabe ?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How’s he doing today? I’m so sorry he went downhill again. :sadhug2:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My guess is that the vet means PDD. You can read about it here: Proventricular Dilatation in Birds

The UK doesn't offer care credit or similar. Unfortunately I think you are looking at a bank loan, putting it on a credit card, or arranging an overdraft. You may want to speak with someone at your bank for advice. Bear in mind that many pet insurance policies won't cover pre-existing conditions so if you do want to take out insurance, you must read the fine print very carefully.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi @Tiel Feathers, he seems bright today and the vet said he was happy, eating and wanting to play with him, but for the first time, Oxo say in his shoulder and vomited the clear liquid on the vet, so at least they have seen it!

The very has said he suspects PDD, his digestive tract is swollen, and his liver. He has ordered some anti inflammatory medication, and said I will get that on Friday to begin treatment as well as the comprehensive swab and bloods back.

I'm so gutted, I just want my cheeky guy back. It's so horrible watching him fade away and vomit.

Any advice or helpful resources on PDD just in case would be great. I'll be burying my head for the next few days and try to figure out a way to make him comfortable

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hey @enigma731, he has been on 0.07ml of Nystatin and 0.08ml of emeprid a day. Hes been on those since last Monday. It's so strange, they cleaned him up whilst he was sedated, and he looks the best he has done for ages. So crazy how the look of a bird can trick you. I havent been given the name of the anti inflammatory drug, as he said I'll be getting that friday along with his blood results.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So he hasn't had an antibiotic at all?

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi @enigma731, that's definitely the only medication he has been given. They treated a fungal infection in the crop at first. No mention of antibiotics throughout though, even just the anti inflammatory on Friday.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
I'm still a bit concerned by his head behaviour. For the last few days he has been knocking his beak on anything and everything. Rubbing his face on any fabrics, and putting it on the deck and running forward moving his head side by side. To me (a complete amateur) it looks like he is bothered by his beak, but I told the vet this and they said it could be due to the fungal infection.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I think before concluding that he has PDD, I'd want a lot of other things ruled out. Have they done cultures of samples from his crop and feces? I would probably also want to try a broad spectrum antibiotic to see if it helped. I might also pursue a second opinion.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Thanks @enigma731

I am going to apply for a loan and see if I can get some funds together. He did take swabs from his crop and said hes getting comprehensive full bloods done. From what I'm aware, they didn't do anything with his feces. The vet always asks how they are, but they are always normal. The same colour as ever with a little water around.

Would you say I'm better waiting for the bloods before getting a second opinion? I literally have no idea about poorly birds, but I hoped going to an Avian vet and paying such an amount of money, they'd be guiding me through this and suggesting things like antibiotics to me :(

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like he doesn't yet have a diagnosis of PDD. Your vet has a hunch and has told you what he suspects, but that's not a firm diagnosis by any means. He's doing the right thing by getting additional information through comprehensive blood tests, crop swabs etc. I don't think it's the right time to seek a second opinion.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like he doesn't yet have a diagnosis of PDD. Your vet has a hunch and has told you what he suspects, but that's not a firm diagnosis by any means. He's doing the right thing by getting additional information through comprehensive blood tests, crop swabs etc. I don't think it's the right time to seek a second opinion.
I agree. The additional context convinces me that you should wait for more results.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can look into getting a Care Credit card.