• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vomit vs Regurgitation?- Sad Update Post #14

nano

Moving in
Hi guys! I hope you and your cute ones are safe and well!

I was just wondering what the difference is between vomiting and regurgitation. My cockatiel has been throwing up clear fluid, looks like water. He will also drink some more water minutes after. He is also resting with his eyes closed. I was wondering If anyone knows what's happening. I've attached a picture and a video of my little one resting near his water.

Stay safe!

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would take him to a vet. Vomiting usually looks uncontrolled- it's head shaking and bits of food, etc fly everywhere. Regurgitation looks like he's forcing something up his throat and kinda comes up in a clump. I'm really not sure what's going on if he's throwing up clear liquid.

@Mizzely @Monica @Ripshod

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What's his poops like? Certainly sounds like vomiting, and together with resting a lot indicates illness. Time for the vet.

nano

Moving in
What's his poops like? Certainly sounds like vomiting, and together with resting a lot indicates illness. Time for the vet.
Thanks for your reply,
His recent stool was just a white drop!

nano

Moving in
Definitely vet.
Does he have a cuttlefish bone or mineral block? Remove it.
He does, I will definitely remove it. Is it related to his vomits?
Also, what does his white stool mean?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's been my experience that tiels will often gorge on cuttlefish or mineral blocks in search for calcium - white poops. This can also cause impaction (blockages) - vomiting.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wasn't aware of it until it happened to me.
We have to remember that birds are still wild and still hardwired with natural instinct. They don't know or understand why, but if something is missing from their diet they'll do anything to get it.

nano

Moving in
We have to remember that birds are still wild and still hardwired with natural instinct. They don't know or understand why, but if something is missing from their diet they'll do anything to get it.
Thank you for explaining this to me.

I was wondering if you know of a temporary "fix" to make him feel better until we get to the vet. I have heard honey with warm water will help him feel better.
I've also noticed - his wings also are a bit detached / separated from his body but he is not shivering.

Thank you so much.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've also noticed - his wings also are a bit detached / separated from his body but he is not shivering.
Sounds like he has some discomfort or anxiety.
You could try some organic apple cider vinegar (with mother) in his water, it may not help but it's certainly better than honey. Keep giving him his normal foods and keep him warm. Have you contacted the vet yet? Smaller birds with their high metabolism can starve pretty quickly.

Correct ratio of acv is 10ml per litre (2 tsp per quart), unused mix can be stored in the refrigerator.

Last edited:

nano

Moving in
Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your input. I had kept him warm and cuddled with him. He has passed peacefully overnight. He lived a long and great life. May he rest in peace.

Sounds like he has some discomfort or anxiety.
You could try some organic apple cider vinegar (with mother) in his water, it may not help but it's certainly better than honey. Keep giving him his normal foods and keep him warm. Have you contacted the vet yet? Smaller birds with their high metabolism can starve pretty quickly.

Correct ratio of acv is 10ml per litre (2 tsp per quart), unused mix can be stored in the refrigerator.
Make sure he's warm and not in any drafts, etc

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

marioivy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mario
Condolences, may he rest in peace :( :angel1:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So sorry for your loss. :(

Do you have any vets near you that see birds at all in an emergency type situation? I know this can be tough as there are many areas that don't have emergency vets that see birds and those that do have vets that see birds might not see them on an emergency basis.

I have a 19 year old cockatiel that I recently had to take to the vets because she somehow managed to get herself stuck in her cage. Vet recommended euthanizing her because of how lethargic she was. After x-rays, fluids and oxygen, plus time to recoup, she's doing fine! She'll be 20 this year.

Unfortunately, with birds, once you notice they are sick/unwell, you need to get them in to a vet ASAP, especially older birds.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm so sorry to hear this. May he fly on forever over the rainbow bridge.
:sorrow:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(:sadhug2::sorrow:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month