• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

volunteer weekend, , I'm not sure....

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
But it's got to be heartbreaking for all the staff at the clinic that knew these rescued birds from when they originally arrived at the clinic. :sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
IT is heartbreaking, everybody was pretty upset and VERY quiet. We most often laugh, joke around some of them sing beautifully. Yesterday everybody did their chores, cleaning cages, feeding , watering and setting up for the week ahead. But it was in shocked silence.
We get a chore list in the morning most often with a danish. The chore lists was on the table with a note please take your list check off completed chores and have good day.
I had nightmares last night of naked macaws chasing me crying and asking WHY.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I heard that Dr Jon completed his exam. Some of her ouchies are infected both skin and feet. She is on baytril. She is malnourished, underweight by 250grams to 300 grams. She wouldn't hold still on the scale. He did a blood draw, fecal swab, throat swab, crop flush. He tube fed her. Andrea is staying the night with them. They set a incubator on standby mode just in case. Happy is going to need pedi and a beak trim.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well that is just sad that he could neglect them so badly no matter the reasons, they had no say in whatever was affecting him and they get to pay the price. It sounds like they are doing everything they can for them and they should be OK after some time with all the expert care and love they are now getting.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry that your dreams are plagued w/ all the stress too! Some day that our nightmares are a way of releasing our stress from a really bad day. It's the brains way of being able to release so me of that stress so that it's better equipped to cope w/ the possibility of more stress tomorrow.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Sending healing regenerative thoughts to you during this time!

Rain

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok, after 24+ hours of thinking about all this.
I am totally disheartened, discouraged and dismayed. I consider my veterinarian clinic as a part of my family. when we gather together whether to do a cleaning party or to share a meal. We are family, we talk, laugh, share ideas, discuss the world problems, work together, cry together. We share food together, we pray together.
But after the last couple of days, my world fell into a deep hole. The one person that cared for my precious babies, seems like a monster. It's just hard to stomach all of this. It's painful, sickening, frustrating and most of all 100% preventable.
If he knew that what was going on in his house was this bad, he could have brought the birds to the clinic. He could have turned to anyone of us, telling us what wrong, and we would have been there for support, to take the macaws in and cared for them.
But he chose to wait and allow it to get this bad. I kinda know some of what else going on, but I waiting until Dr Barb decides what to do. I hate every second of all of this. I feel like my trust has taken a severe kick to the head. I feel beaten down to the floor. And it's not fair to the staff, the volunteers, to Peace and Happy. It's JUST NOT FAIR! !!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@rocky'smom .

Honey, sometimes there's nothing scarier to some, then to admit defeat. I feel terrible about Happy & Peace. It's not fair!

Pls understand I playing devils advocate here. I don't know this guy, but I hate him for making me type this. There is in no way any kind of neglect or abuse that is totally justifiable for me. I think he should be punished. If you felt like everyone was family, as a vet he probably felt socially there was a persona to all of you that was not to faulter, & be above... Wrong word, right concept.

For whatever reason his world fell apart & even if it was stubborn pride, he couldn't ask for help, or give those babies up. In my opinion (right/wrong) because it would've been the last defeat for him.

I think like in any family, you all need to shun him, so he learns his lesson. For some of you it maybe ever lasting. Focus on getting those babies well, make them some pretty toys to make Peace & Happy think pleasant thoughts to make them heal faster. To me I would treat them as if they were my Sister in the hospital. Destractions, good food & company, is the best medicine for an injured body & soul. All you can do know is go forward, or leave. We both know your not gonna leave. Know you are in our thoughts! Sending my biggest bear :sadhug:

Rain

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hated saying all that prob. as much as you reading it. My husband used to work for the S PCA. We have a love of hating abusers. Something tells me he didn't sneak under your radar. Don't stop trusting yourself. I only wrote what I wrote because based on knowing your posts & you via them.

Like you I feel like something more is/was underfoot. I hate defending that but I feel it could be a portion of this, try to be strong for them & Dr. Barb. We'll be strong for you.

:sadhug: Rain

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
GOOD NEWS UPATE:
Kudos to tech Andrea, who overnight got Happy to eat from spoon half Dixie cup full formula. She also clipped 6 out 8 talons., without dermel. The beak will be worked on in day or two.
She brought her sewing machine with her to work. She also brought yards of double sided fleece. She took the tube collar, that Happy had snit fit about. She made covers for that hard plastic tube, some with fringe. She also made some chest protectors for Happy. All night she worked with Happy, little bits of time. When Happy had had enough, she let her rest. She worked on chest protectors and collar covers. Happy has 4 snazzy collar covers and 6 chest protectors. Andrea got her eat another half Dixie cup of feeding formula, this morning.
You are good egg Andrea, Thank you.
Dr Jon will have blood results back today, swabs back tonight. He suspects she has crop infection along with some infected skin wounds that smell yeasty also.
Andrea said that Happy was playing last night with toys and was forging some.
Just wanted to renew my faith in good vet techs , great veterinarians and good friends.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok Happy has fungal infection in her crop. She got a medicine that I can't remember the whole name END ------ something. Anyways she doesn't like the taste. So it's back to tube feeding, to get in her.
There is no decision yet on whether to charge some body with neglect and abuse. Dr Barb has that tough tough decision.
Happy is doing ok, last 2 talons were trimmed last night b4 bedtime. She was playing and snuggling with Andrea, who stayed with her last night.

D

Deleted member 29421

What is the full name of this "veterinarian" If he's moving to California to set up a practice, perhaps people need to know what kind of person he really is?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sorry but until decision is made by the owner of my clinic , I am not allowed to say anything more then what I have written. I am related to the owner and it will be her decision not mine.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Quick update: Happy is eating well, mash, chop, a few nuts, pellets and if she takes her meds without a fight, a half date. She is also getting some pain relief for sore footsies. They are in quarantine room, warmer then all other rooms. Dr Jon wants Peace to have a complete exam also. But Dr Jon only works at the clinic 2days a week.
A decision has not yet been made so I can go no further then the above written.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So glad to hear they are doing a little better the poor sweet birds. I hope things can back to normal soon for you all at the clinic.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
UPDATE: Peace got his check up yesterday. He is now on antifungal meds too. He has crop infection also. He had blood work, fecal swab, throat swab, and crop flush. He is in general good health. Happy is doing great, taking her meds like a champ. She is eating well, has had a good bath and has several feather pinnies on her tail. She loving the bean mix that 'G' makes for own birds. She needs that protein to make new feathers.
There has been no decision at this time. Dr Barb is trying hard to make the best decision for all concerned including Peace and Happy.
I am hopeful that Happy being away from whatever the cause was, will improve daily, as she is doing now.
Andrea seems to be Happy's person. She waiting for Andrea by her cage every morning. Happy will accept loves and scritches from Andrea.

Last edited: