• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

volunteer weekend, , I'm not sure....

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Peace and Happy are at clinic now. Tony brought them in along with both cages late this afternoon. Nick stayed with Dr Barb to make sure that nothing happened.
Nicky called me on his way home. He is madder then heck. He could barely speak. Peace is fine, the beautiful blue throated macaw, we all love. But Happy is plucking again, most of her breast feathers are gone. She is extremely thin and even more extremely nervous. Nick said he had heck of a time getting her out of the dog crate she was in. Her feet are scabbed up from who knows what. There were no toys in either cage just two perches dowel type in each cage. The dishes were nasty dirty, full bio film. The cages are chipped up, badly like they were beaten on.
Nicky was taking Fast Freddie and Little Eddie home. He was going back to stay the night with birds. Dr Jon, Barb's son lives within 20minutes of the clinic if he is needed.
Before any body asks I can not take pictures, I signed a confidentially agreement.
Dr Barb asked for Tony's key card that let's him in the building, she abolished his pass codes to all security related entries, the computers, and has the keys to pharmacy. She changed the safe codes also.
I hope I never see him again period. I'm emotionally worn out. And sickened. 'G' and I are going in to bring breakfast to Nicky.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Nope, he was somebody I trusted, and now I just want to -_-_-_ -_( use your own adjectives ). I've cried my eyes out, sobbed until I got hiccups. Cried some more.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Dr Barb called asking 'G' and I to wait and come in at 1pm. She invited Dr Paul in for coffee and a chat. Dr Paul is Tony's dad. Maybe dad will shed some light on what the ---- happened. Maybe not, but she has to get to the root cause of this.
Dr Barb will bring in breakfast for Nicky or send him out for breakfast some place nice.
I hope there is some type of answer.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear! I am so glad they are not with him anymore then going on your description and I think he certainly did one right thing by those beautiful birds........he gave them to people who will care and make sure they are better than he was keeping them.

I am so sorry for you, the birds and of course the others at the clinic who are affected emotionally by this awful turn of events. :sadhug2:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Dr. Barb is doing the best changes to make things right.
Sounds like he has a serious problem.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'd want to hear all sides of the story before I totally went off but certainly sounds bad. Sounds to me like his life went totally south when all the family stuff happened and so everything went bad. Whatever I hope the birds come around and eventually he gets his life back on track and can be a good person again :(

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I need to get some sleep, my eyes actually ache from crying so much. I'm pretty sure of the last time I saw Happy. Dr Jon and I went to get them shortly after Tony's MIL was killed in DWI. Happy was fully feathered and beautiful. What ever happened was after they came back home. That was mid June.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:sadhug2::sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Thank you for the hugs. I will be leaving soon. I've bolstered myself up as much as possible, so not to be wounded, emotionally. But I'm raw already. I'm hoping there is explainable reason for all of this. But am equally prepared for whatever, I think.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
What I am going to say is this:

IMHO, Happy has been neglected badly. She is duck butted, plucked from shoulders down the breast to between her legs. She is terrified of anything human whether male or female. She backs herself into a corner of her cage, flares out, sways side to side and screams, if some human gets close to her. She is eating and drinking.
I ate my lunch near her cage, quietly, no sudden movements. I brought treats with me . I left them in her cage. She tried them after I left.
She will be examined tomorrow by Dr Barb's son Dr Jon. He is avian vet.
I don't want to say anymore until Drs Barb and Jon make their decision on what to do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh no she sounds like one unhappy unsettled sad bird :( I really hope she is able to recover from what ever she has been though. This must be so difficult for you all to see her like that.:sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Nicky is staying the night again with the macaws. Bless his heart. He went home slept got some food in him. His sister is taking care of Fast Freddie and Little Eddie. He brought cot and sleeping bag with him. Barb bought him some snacks, lunch type stuff. So he is set for the night. I called him about half hour ago. They are ok.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@rocky'smom :mykid: It sounds like Dr Barb is on this situation quite well considering how bad it is. Someone should give her a hug too! It takes a ton of brass to go to his Dad to try to get to the bottom of all this. I'm w/ you I'd been afraid to go in too, but sitting w/ that poor thing... bless your heart, she's gonna probably need a bunch of quiet support. That was fast :idea: thinking on your part!

:sadhug: Rain

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Absolutely shocking for a vets birds to appear so neglected and traumatized. Not just any vet, but Dr. Tony, someone we all seem to know from you and your posts. This is so hard to believe, so I can imagine how hard it is for you. I’m glad these poor birds are now going to get the love and care they deserve.
:sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Thank you going and sitting with her, was my way of showing her that she is safe, not all humans bad.
Dr Barb is was as red eyed as I am. I think she is overwhelmed as all of us are. Before 'G' and I left I offered a hug. She said later. Ok .
Tony's dad is vet that works part time at the clinic. Dr Paul is ready to retire but likes to keep his hand in the business some what.
I can't sleep tonight, but I'm not working tomorrow either. Kinda afraid of the nightmares tonight.
I came home and loved on my two a whole bunch. Guess I need my sleeping pill tonight.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Sounds really bad but everyone is pulling together and the fids should be OK eventually. Good for all of you for helping the critters and dealing with the leftovers from a life falling apart. :sadhug: