• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

volunteer weekend, , I'm not sure....

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if I can I keep my mouth shut. This week Dr.Tony informed Dr. Barb that Peace the blue throated macaw and Happy the GW macaw will not be moving to California with them, the end of November. They are being returned to the clinic to be rehomed.
Needless to say I'm quite upset about this news. I believe that if you adopted any animal, bird, any critter it for their lifetime, not for your convenience.
I'm suppose to work this weekend, hmmmmmm, Dr Tony is bring both birds and their cages in on Saturday. I personally want to tell him off. But it not my place and I'm not sure if I can't keep my yap shut. This weekend will be only happen if the weather doesn't turn nasty. And it's colder then snowman now.
What would you do? Go in and pray that you can keep your mouth closed, or skip the this weekend.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh how sad for the birds.
If I knew I could not help but say something and it would not be the right thing to do then I would not go. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when I believe I am right so for me I just find it easier to avoid situations that cause conflict for anyone.

Do you know his reasoning for re-homing them? Sometimes situations change and maybe he thinks it will not be in the birds best interest to keep them, I am just thinking maybe he has a valid reason (that you may not know about) and it is what will be best for them?

I sure am glad I am not in your shoes with this situation, I would be beside myself with what to do. I hope you can make a decision either way and feel that you have made the correct choice.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Do you know his reasoning for re-homing them? Sometimes situations change and maybe he thinks it will not be in the birds best interest to keep them, I am just thinking maybe he has a valid reason (that you may not know about) and it is what will be best for them?
This:) I used to be against rehoming under ANY circumstance, but well, life changes, sadly. And I have to admit after everything I have read on here, sometimes it is in the bird’s best interest to go to a new home. But we should make sure it is a Good home:) Maybe he also can’t Bring them over the borders due to laws? I do hate it if people rehome for their convience, like the bird is nothing, if that is the case.. I would probably say I don’t agree if asked about it, but politly. That I personally would do everything in my power to keep my darlings with me.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I really disagree with rehoming any animal simply for the convenience of the human but there are some circumstances that it really does make sense to rehome for the best interests of all involved. I would hope with him being a vet he would only be choosing to rehome for a valid reason and not simply because it is easiest for him.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm going to talk to Dr Barb today. I think I'm better off staying home unless she has some other plan. I know I'm not the only person that upset about this. Nicky called me last night on his way home, almost in tears. He was so mad you could feel it thru phone. Nicky and I do alot of the bird side of clinic, cleaning cages, feeding, watering ect ect. We have become friends. Fast Freddie and Little Eddie his macaws , are the loves of my life.
And maybe Peace and Happy are better off staying with clinic, finding loving caring forever homes, I don't like the passing around of any feathered, furred baby. Its just to unsettling for them, JMHO. They deserve stable home too. They are nice birds.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would go in just long enough to blast them for their callus lack of empathy and commitment. Then I would leave. I might even throw a rock through the window. Just for the heck of it.

They need to hear what they've done loud and clear. They need to feel the pain. Please go there and spill your heart. For the bird's sake. :hug8:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm waiting for Dr Barb to call me back. She is in today. I talked to 'G' she said that Tony is not in. That is weird because he works on Friday when the weekend is non vet weekend. Something isn't right and smells funny.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would probably go in and voice my concerns in as much a diplomatic way as possible. That way you tried and he gets to hear it. You can also find out his reasons.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok none of the techs or volunteers will be there. Dr Barb said that the techs came to her in mass, telling her they weren't comfortable being in the building when he brings Peace and Happy back. She understands that, they sign a petition saying that they would come in at 1pm.
The deal with bring them in is that he returns both cages that Dr Barb's discount bought. Dr Barb and her hubby will be there to bring Peace and Happy, their cages in. And will remain there until Tony leaves. All posters have been taken down and locked up. Tony thought they were his, they aren't . He has been reimbursed for the cost of printing them, they remain in the clinic.
Needless to say there will be no goodbye/ best of luck party. He has removed most of his things from the clinic. Dr Barb did inventory last night, to make sure nothing was missing.
I realize that this public forum, and that he can come here and read this. So best of luck in California, Tony and family. I hope that you will be happy there. Sorry that you seem to not like us volunteers with barter accounts. I'm sure that is not the only reason that you are leaving. It's a excuse. Peace and Happy will be better off with us then moving to California and be released to the wild. We volunteers will love on them and find them homes, where they will be appreciated for themselves. Remember all support we at the clinic gave during your MIL sad death and during your daughter's brain tumor scare. We were there, even us volunteers, who took time to give you all support. Best of Luck, goodbye. A volunteer

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those poor birds. I always wonder what goes on inside an animal's head when it's rehomed. I hope they find a loving home that will commit to them forever.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I know that Bebe was pretty upset about rehomed. I was a stranger that he slowly is adjusting.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Just a thought but perhaps he has personal family reasons for his decision that he choosing not to divulge....
Birds will be better off at your clinic.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Were they thinking of releasing them were they?

I really hope the birds settle in quickly.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Yes, according to him, there are wild macaws in CA. Ok whatever, Peace and Happy most likely would never survive that. I'm just totally disgusted by his 'tude. Blaming the volunteers that have barter accounts is the biggest bunch of hokum I ever heard. There are 3 of us with barter accounts. For me personally, I bust my butt to complete my every other week chore list. I bring home the stuff to make forging toys for all the birds including his birds. I have gone in in middle of night when there was emergencies, to move the rescues to the other kitchen or into the waiting room. So blaming me or any of the other volunteers, is cr@pola.
I'm pretty sure I know what the cause is, but it's a personal matter between him and Dr Barb.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd go in and face him squarely. Tell him you don't know the WHY but you are extremely disappointed in a man, and avian veterinarian, who is dumping his macaws because his family is moving to CA. And that you expected more from a vet like him.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
If I drove I might think about it, but I don't drive. I'm riding in with 'G' at 12:00pm.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Yup I know but I'm trying keep my temper in check, I like my job and it's important to me &my fids as its to Dr Barb.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What an awful situation for you. I really do not think fronting him will do anything but make you feel more miserable and angry about the choices he has made. If he does change his mind now it would be under pressure from everyone thinking he is a looser for dumping his birds for convenience and that is not a person who will give the best care to the birds as he will only be keeping them under a feeling of guilt. If this is the choice he has made, better for the birds to go to someone who will love and care for them in a more committed way. He is taking the easy way out of a situation he got himself into, what would his choices be if things actually got tough with the birds while in his care? I think at this stage they are better off not staying with him.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Maybe the one thing you could all do if you went in for a normal volunteer day would be to turn your backs on Dr. Tony whenever he walked by you. Nothing verbal, no insults but a very direct comment of what you think of him. In Amish communities and others, it's known as "shunning".