• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Volkman's Soak and Simmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
How long does it take everybody (on average) for the "simmer" part? It says until beans are tender, I didn't time right the first time and I didn't cook long enough, then last night I did it for too long and now I have bean mash lol. Tips? suggestions? the fids seem to like it either way.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
How long does it take everybody (on average) for the "simmer" part? It says until beans are tender, I didn't time right the first time and I didn't cook long enough, then last night I did it for too long and now I have bean mash lol. Tips? suggestions? the fids seem to like it either way.
35 -40 mins here....mine won't eat mushy beans :rolleyes:

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
I don't know about the Volkman's stuff but I have a "Soak 'N Cook" mix, with beans, peas and corn, that I simmer for 15-20 minutes.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I ordered this and it just arrived but I haven't made it yet. I think it says 45 minutes on the bag..... will know more once I actually try making it:rolleyes:

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I just got some in yesterday also! Didn't read the label, if it takes that long guess I better go get lunch started :D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i need to make some and freeze it and it's 12 o'clock and I haven't done a thing yet today!!!:eek::eek::eek:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have some in my kitchen that I've had for a few weeks now and haven't made yet...I think that beats your not doing anything all day Saroj!;) I've never tried this stuff but my birds are all garbage disposals so I'm sure it will go over well even if it's overcooked! LOL!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Audra,
I don't know if you live at elevation like I do (7500) but it does take beans a bit longer to get soft when I make them here. Basically anymore I just keep cooking and testing till it's like I want it. If I go by time beans, pasta, etc is always still crunchy.

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
Audra,
I don't know if you live at elevation like I do (7500) but it does take beans a bit longer to get soft when I make them here. Basically anymore I just keep cooking and testing till it's like I want it. If I go by time beans, pasta, etc is always still crunchy.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm not quite that high (thankfully!) but I have noticed things can take longer. I'm the taste-test it kind of person and it usually works, but as I haven't eaten volkman's in the past, I have nothing to compare to :p lol

Status
Not open for further replies.