• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vocalising mid-nap

TechChirp

Moving in
Hello again ! My cockatiel most often but my rosella too occasionally chirp during their day naps , what could that mean ? The cockatiel always does a single usual "scream" and the rosella a single "pi" sound ( not as responses to each other ).

By the way , just to know , how long would a (healthy) parrot nap or rest during the day very generally ? These two are fairly timid , by personality too it seems ( we are still trying to familiarise them and it's going well , slow but steady ! ) and will take their usual 1-3 short naps during the day , by short I mean usually less than an hour but before and after the nap they usually stay still too just observing the room , me etc. . They play , eat , vocalise regularly otherwise ! According to the pet store , they are both around but under 1 year old . Thank you in advance :)

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My quaker makes a specific grumpy, groggy squawk when something wakes him up.

I take it to mean, roughly, "Huh? What? Be quiet and let me sleep, will ya?"

Maybe what you're hearing is something similar? If you sit down and stay quiet when they make those noises, do they go right back to sleep?

TechChirp

Moving in
Maybe what you're hearing is something similar? If you sit down and stay quiet when they make those noises, do they go right back to sleep?
Usually I'm already quiet when they make the occasional chirp and make sure I have no music playing or making unnecesaary noise . I can't really describe it as a "grumpy" sounding noise , I think ! It's the usual contact call just quieter and to be honest it has a little hint of a "hoarse" quality to it , although since they do it when we relax together occasionally too I didn't receive it as "bad" or "annoyed" , unless I completely misunderstood their message :confused: