• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vitamin drops?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
I got vitamin drops for my little birdie! The bottle says to put three/four drops in 10ml water, but my parrot does not like it AT ALL, she literally only drinks 1ml. The bottle does say I can put the vitamins in food too, but how ? What food do I put it in and do I just put the drops directly into the food or in 10ml water first ?
I AM LOST :waitsws2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of diet is your bird currently on?

The liquid drops aren't good with a lot of dry foods; there are powdered ones that taste better and are easier to incorporate

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
What kind of diet is your bird currently on?

The liquid drops aren't good with a lot of dry foods; there are powdered ones that taste better and are easier to incorporate
Thanks for the reply! She eats seeds

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for the reply! She eats seeds
Yes a seed diet is not complete so a vitamin is good to add. Seed diets are lacking calcium, Vitamin A and Vitamin D3, all of which are crucial for longevity. Hagen Prime (also sold as Living World Prime) is a good powdered vitamin, as is Nekton.

Other options are intruding a pelleted diet and/or fresh veggies, sprouts, and fruit.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Yes a seed diet is not complete so a vitamin is good to add. Seed diets are lacking calcium, Vitamin A and Vitamin D3, all of which are crucial for longevity. Hagen Prime (also sold as Living World Prime) is a good powdered vitamin, as is Nekton.

Other options are intruding a pelleted diet and/or fresh veggies, sprouts, and fruit.
I will agree with Nekton vitamins, years ago, I added it to my Budgies diet. They loved the stuff, but cost is pretty high. Seed diets are incomplete, here is my suggestion to the OP, is possible for you to use a pellet seed mixture. There are great pellet diets out there. Converting to a pellet diets takes some time on your part but worth the time and effort.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did a vet recommend vitamins for your bird? Reason I ask is that the dosages on a bottle can be deceiving. From my experience little birds can get diarrhea from supplemental vitamins, especially if long term. Best to enhance the diet as suggested by others.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
I will agree with Nekton vitamins, years ago, I added it to my Budgies diet. They loved the stuff, but cost is pretty high. Seed diets are incomplete, here is my suggestion to the OP, is possible for you to use a pellet seed mixture. There are great pellet diets out there. Converting to a pellet diets takes some time on your part but worth the time and effort.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to buy them asap.
In the meantime, do you know how to add liquid vitamin drops to seeds? As on the vitamin bottle it says to put three drops in 10ml water, but with food, do I just put the drops directly into the food or in 10ml water first ? :what:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to buy them asap.
In the meantime, do you know how to add liquid vitamin drops to seeds? As on the vitamin bottle it says to put three drops in 10ml water, but with food, do I just put the drops directly into the food or in 10ml water first ? :what:
I don't add the liquid to dry food as it is completely ineffective to do so. It will clump, the bird will avoid it, and any on the hull of the seeds doesn't make it into the bird as they don't eat the shells.

You could mix it with baby food and give it that way, but use the dilution from the water or you will risk an overdose.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
I don't add the liquid to dry food as it is completely ineffective to do so. It will clump, the bird will avoid it, and any on the hull of the seeds doesn't make it into the bird as they don't eat the shells.

You could mix it with baby food and give it that way, but use the dilution from the water or you will risk an overdose.

Thanks! Oh, I didn't know birds could have baby food.. :)

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thanks! Oh, I didn't know birds could have baby food.. :)
Not sure just how little your bird is. I add vitamins about every other day to chop for dinner, or I alternate and add it to their oat meal in morning which I feed by spoon.
Once in a while I add it to baby food, and offer my birds the food by syringe. My birds love eating from syringe or spoon. Comes in handy if they ( heaven forbid) get sick.
IMG_20190817_202351.jpg IMG_20180421_105157_kindlephoto-510989976.jpg

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Not sure just how little your bird is. I add vitamins about every other day to chop for dinner, or I alternate and add it to their oat meal in morning which I feed by spoon.
Once in a while I add it to baby food, and offer my birds the food by syringe. My birds love eating from syringe or spoon. Comes in handy if they ( heaven forbid) get sick.
View attachment 319977 View attachment 319978

Thanks for the reply! Awww, your birds are adorable! My birdie is an Indian Ringneck, a little smaller than your birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Seeds really shouldn't make up the majority of the diet for Indian Ringnecks. They should be on either a pellet based diet with fresh veggies and grains, or a whole food diet made up of veggies and grains with access to unfiltered sunlight several times a week. The whole food diet does require more planning and persistance.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mk
Seeds really shouldn't make up the majority of the diet for Indian Ringnecks. They should be on either a pellet based diet with fresh veggies and grains, or a whole food diet made up of veggies and grains with access to unfiltered sunlight several times a week. The whole food diet does require more planning and persistance.
Yep, thanks for the advice. I am in the process of changing her diet. :shy:
Also, she does eat a lot of fruit and vegetables as well. :angelic: