• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vitamin and supplement recommendations

Ashnclifford

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ashley Clifford
Hey everyone! This is my very first post on here so I hope I'm doing everything correctly, please call out my mistakes if you see any.
Just to set this up a little bit... I've had my African Grey for just about a year, her name is Arrow, her previous owners were an elderly couple that were too old to take care of her, and urgently needed a new owner for her. I was completely oblivious to the fact that by meeting these people, that I would literally end up with a African Grey parrot within a week. So I didn't really know what I was doing, I've only ever had parakeets.
The couple did not know her age but they've owned her for 15 years, and have only ever given her seed mix, which I've heard isn't a proper diet but I'm not sure. They never mentioned anything about additional vitamins, so I looked it up for myself, didn't find much. So here I am, eek! I bought something called Quiko Multivitamin Daily Balance Supplement for Birds. Didn't see any results from that. I also got something for her plumage, it worked for my parakeets, but not her.
She's aggressive, and she's a plucker, and I recently noticed her beak looks like it has small cracks in it.
Overall I just wanted to know if any of you guys put vitamins in your bird's food, or supplements in their water? Anything to help with skin or feather health? Or just dietary health?
If anyone has recommendations for me please let me know. Anything will help. Every single comment would mean so much to me! It's been really hard taking care of her. It's almost like having a toddler around the house and I'm only 18. Haha! Thanks guys! I will insert a pic of her for you guys! :)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Most members here seem to prefer to ensure their bird gets a healthy diet with a big variety of fresh foods high in nutrients our birds need. A lot of us also feed pellets for a portion of the diet.
@Mizzely has some really great information on bird diets and health:)

I hope you enjoy being here:sunflower:

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
CAG's require a higher calcium diet than most other species do. Feed fresh veggies, pellets, some seed mix & a little fruit. Some people food is OK. Scrambled eggs are good. I make them with the veggies added. Just fry up with no oil. No need for vitamin supplements. The beak looks fine. Beaks are like our finger nails, but with blood supply. They keep growing & will shed off layers. Keep her supplied with toys she can chew & destroy, to help keep it worn down.

Most CAG's are not hands on birds. They are on the defensive at all times. Move slowly & explain everything you are doing & want her to do. Slowly introduce new things. They are also super intelligent & can mimic every sound on the planet.

If you haven't already I'd suggest a vet check.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
I’m not sure about vitamins but if you can convert her to a healthy diet with pellets, veggies, fruits and the occasional bit of seed or nuts she probably won’t need them!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, vet visit first to rule out medical problems!

As for diet, seed mixes are not a good diet. Older birds can be harder to convert but not Impossible. I personally have a Jardine's that rarely eats vegetables, so for him pellets are a main part of his diet. Basically there are a couple schools of thought:

- pellets + fresh Foods
- fresh foods only (or with a vitamin)

Notice seeds are not on that list. Seeds are a good part of the diet for grainivores like cockatiels and budgies (parakeets) but for most other parrots they should be treats (no more than 10% of the diet). Seeds are high in fat, and low or devoid of other things parrots need: calcium, Vitamin D3, and Vitamin A being the big ones.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I just wanted to say welcome to AA and thank you for giving this bird a nice home. Arrow is so cute! How has she adjusted to your home in the last year?

Ashnclifford

Real Name
Ashley Clifford
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Most members here seem to prefer to ensure their bird gets a healthy diet with a big variety of fresh foods high in nutrients our birds need. A lot of us also feed pellets for a portion of the diet.
@Mizzely has some really great information on bird diets and health:)

I hope you enjoy being here:sunflower:
Thanks so much for the reply! I will definitely check out @Mizzely ’s page!

Ashnclifford

Real Name
Ashley Clifford
I just wanted to say welcome to AA and thank you for giving this bird a nice home. Arrow is so cute! How has she adjusted to your home in the last year?
Thank you so much, and thanks for the compliment! Arrow is SUCH a handful. She wants to eat everything in sight, including my fingers and toes. I pretty much have lost my bedroom to her. My window blinds and my carpet have been shredded to oblivion. I definitely see hardwood floors in my future. But I’d still consider her the best thing that has ever happened to me! I do make it sound like I have no idea what I’m doing, and for the most part, I don’t... But she’s always singing and, when she’s not terrorizing me, she likes to sit at the window, dance, get head scratches, and she seems pretty happy. Thanks for being so welcoming!

Ashnclifford

Real Name
Ashley Clifford
Yes, vet visit first to rule out medical problems!

As for diet, seed mixes are not a good diet. Older birds can be harder to convert but not Impossible. I personally have a Jardine's that rarely eats vegetables, so for him pellets are a main part of his diet. Basically there are a couple schools of thought:

- pellets + fresh Foods
- fresh foods only (or with a vitamin)

Notice seeds are not on that list. Seeds are a good part of the diet for grainivores like cockatiels and budgies (parakeets) but for most other parrots they should be treats (no more than 10% of the diet). Seeds are high in fat, and low or devoid of other things parrots need: calcium, Vitamin D3, and Vitamin A being the big ones.
Thank you! You are so helpful! I’ve been trying to incorporate pellets, I will try more fruits and veggies, I just wanted to make a sure I didn’t need any addition Vitamin supplements to drop in the water for safety. Thanks again!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If she likes to share your food, and most birds do, share with her.
You can also grind up some veggies and fruit into a birdie bread that may fool her into eating better.
Seed junkies can be tough to get eating healthier.
Anything you share, make sure it is bird safe.
Welcome to AA! And thanks for taking in her bird, I'm sure she's so relieved her bird is loved and cared for.