• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vita Prima and Kaytee Food From The Wild

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Curious how everyone feels about these?

Vita Prima: Amazon link

Kaytee Food From The Wild: Amazon link

I'm usually iffy on Kaytee stuff because a lot of it contains unnecessary "junk food" (like sunflower seeds) but I've never heard of this recipe before. And feel free to correct me if Kaytee isn't as bad as I think - a lot of my bias also comes from their small animal foods which isn't often very good.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't personally like them because they used to be a huge breeding mill.

However that's ancient news and they do offer a lot of recipes that are better than nothing for those on a budget, plus they are often actually eaten. So mostly I'm just biased at this point because fundamentally there is probably little difference between Kaytee and Zupreem :p

I don't know why the links aren't working for me :lol:

I've tried Vita Prima right after I got Ripley and I wasn't impressed. He was on a seed only diet at that point and he wouldn't eat hardly anything out of it. It was just a dusty food, too.

In general I find that mixes with pellets have a ton of waste in my house.

That being said of those two you mentioned, I would personally go with the Kaytee.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don't personally like them because they used to be a huge breeding mill.

However that's ancient news and they do offer a lot of recipes that are better than nothing for those on a budget, plus they are often actually eaten. So mostly I'm just biased at this point because fundamentally there is probably little difference between Kaytee and Zupreem :p

I don't know why the links aren't working for me :lol:

I've tried Vita Prima right after I got Ripley and I wasn't impressed. He was on a seed only diet at that point and he wouldn't eat hardly anything out of it. It was just a dusty food, too.

In general I find that mixes with pellets have a ton of waste in my house.

That being said of those two you mentioned, I would personally go with the Kaytee.
Weird! I wonder why the links aren't working.

Yeah, Tteok seems to be going through a thing where he won't eat any one thing for long. Except Davey's budgie seed. He enjoys that a lot :meh: we've been through all the Zupreem flavors, he doesn't eat Roudybush, he REALLY doesn't like whatever this bubble gum scented stuffI got last time is. He's not lost any weight though, so I guess he must be eating it rather than starving.

I didn't know Kaytee used to breed. How long ago was that?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Weird! I wonder why the links aren't working.

Yeah, Tteok seems to be going through a thing where he won't eat any one thing for long. Except Davey's budgie seed. He enjoys that a lot :meh: we've been through all the Zupreem flavors, he doesn't eat Roudybush, he REALLY doesn't like whatever this bubble gum scented stuffI got last time is. He's not lost any weight though, so I guess he must be eating it rather than starving.

I didn't know Kaytee used to breed. How long ago was that?
Like 90s, early 2000s

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Bebe gets Kaytee the harvest cockatiel food. It's about the only grain based food he will eat. And it gets topped with Zupreem pasta blend. I have heck of time finding it locally.
The Kaytee I sort thru it from peanuts and raisins and remove for creek critter food. It's taken over six years of no sunflower seeds to get this bird junkie off sunflower seeds program. Is Kaytee bad if it only thing he will eat. Guess not....