• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

violet hooded lovebird laying down what could be wrong

Julie-Anne

Moving in
Real Name
Julie-Anne
Hi, I have two violet hooded lovebirds Billy and Silly, i am unsure of the sex, as my partner bought them home from the markets they are appox 12 months old, Billy (the Darker blue) has been ripping the paper from the bottom of the cage, putting it in water and taking it up to their snuggle pod (i made of out of an old bra) this morning i noticed Billy on the bottom of the cage almost on her side, she is eating well, drinking well, i am not sure if or how Billy has hurt her leg/foot, Billy is sitting in her food when she eats, It is Breaking my heart as Silly is just sitting beside Billy, I can not find a avian vet in my area.
any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Billy and Silly have never been handled as we found out they where not hand raised .

Thanks everyone
Distressed mum
Julie

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you sure the reason for laying down is a hurt foot or leg?
Hopefully someone will come along soon and give you some help with maybe finding an avian vet or any vet who will check your bird out in your area.
Welcome to the forum :)

Julie-Anne

Moving in
Real Name
Julie-Anne
Hi Shezbug, No i am not sure, however Billy will climb the cage with her beak, the wind looks find and there are no sings of a cold, runny nose, panting etc,.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Hi, how long have you had your birds and when was the first time you observed Billy lying on the bottom? Has there been any change in their diet [eg. offering a certain fresh fruit or vegetable?]

Is your conclusion on Billy's hurt leg due to observation when Billy moves/ perches/ climbs cage without using a leg? If it is a hurt leg this is something you should be able to observe when Billy moves around.

Is the condition of the snuggle pod still good without loose threads? This is because some birds are known to ingest threads and strips of fabric which get stuck inside their stomach and are not passed out [ the only way to take out is to operate ]. It would be best to remove any fabric items from the cage in the long term. Birds can also get accidentally tangled or strangle themselves in loose threads. Safer alternatives would be a coconut without the husk. Or a cardboard box. Keep in mind that putting a box in there [aka the presence of a suitable nesting site] may stimulate breeding mood and increase territorial aggression, especially in female birds.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
If you tell us approximately where you live (city or nearest city of from a small town, and country) someone might be able to help you find a vet who is at least experienced with seeing birds.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Get rid of the makeshift hut. It may be that the foot got tangled in thread. Even if it isn’t, lovebirds have a habit of chewing and getting into trouble. It is no uncommon for such items to cause serious injury or death. Can you get a good look at the leg / foot and see if there is any visible injury?

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Totally agree with @LunaLovebird get rid of the hut and use a swing for them or a platform perch.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you examined his foot and leg carefully to be sure there are no fibers wrapped around?

Julie-Anne

Moving in
Real Name
Julie-Anne
Hi Eveeyone,
Sorry I have not replied earlier, unfortunately Billy had broken both her legs, I am assuming it happened because I kept forgetting to take the stupid dowel perch out of their cage
I noticed it on the bottom of the cage.
I had her at the vets for two days as we had to wait to see if there was any way of splinting her legs. The vet gave us the option of “trying” to splint them, which he didn’t think would work, or putting her to sleep. It was an extremely hard decision, I wanted to be selfish and do what ever it took not to loose her, but I had to think of her, with the amount of pain and stress my poor girl was in, then to have the splints, with very little chance of them mending, I Made the decision to set her free. On the 4th of August at 5:30pm.
We said goodbye. Silly was with us, I kept them together until the end. He knew what was happening as it seemed he detached himself from her. And has not stressed or pined for her.
We did get a new lady friend for him on Saturday, not sure how that’s going.. he being being a bit of a turd !
Again thank you all for your advice
Big hugs
Jules

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is such a loss for you and the birds cage mate.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.