• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Viewer's bonded pair - how to NOT induce any more hormones?

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
A viewer of mine has recently acquired a bonded CAG pair. They are in a "breeding cage" closed off on 3 sides and the top and bottom so it is very much like a nest. The person who gave them to him said to keep them in there until they are "done" with mating season. The birds have no sleep schedule either. There has not been egg laying just yet but they are showing mating behaviour.

My suggestion was to end it before it even began by changing the cage and putting them on a 12 hour sleep schedule. I also advised that he could boil any eggs laid and add fake eggs to complete the clutch to reduce laying stress and more hormonal behaviour.

Do you have any suggestions for this bonded pair? Do you think I have given good advice in this situation? He doesn't want them to have babies or anything.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Nice of you to offer to help them :D
Can you request for a picture of their set-up?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I am a little confused as to why this person acquired a breeding pair of CAGs if they are not a breeder and do not want to be one. Have they previously laid eggs and raised chicks? If so it seems somewhat cruel to me to deprive them of that.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Nice of you to offer to help them :D
Can you request for a picture of their set-up?
I did, it is a box... Like a breeding box the best way I can describe it. Shall I post it here? There is not much to see really...

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I am a little confused as to why this person acquired a breeding pair of CAGs if they are not a breeder and do not want to be one. Have they previously laid eggs and raised chicks? If so it seems somewhat cruel to me to deprive them of that.
He just wanted them and got them. Money can buy anything and everything unfortunately. I'll ask them that but I doubt he wants chicks nor can he take care of them.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Oh, I reread the post and you described it, I think I misunderstood what you said earlier... :banghead:
Oh sorry I didn't mean to put it like that at all! LOL I had meant "I did ask" Sorryyy hehehe Could have easily been my bad English too!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Nevertheless, if you wanted to stop them from breeding I would move them to a normal cage, not give them any kind of nest, and increase dark time. Decrease soft foods and replace with pellets.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Nevertheless, if you wanted to stop them from breeding I would move them to a normal cage, not give them any kind of nest, and increase dark time. Decrease soft foods and replace with pellets.
Yes, and not wait for them to go though with it and be done right? Because they won't ever be done if they are kept in there with all the right conditions plus the lack of a proper sleep schedule in my opinion. What is the other option anyway, there is no giving them back. If the seller was willing to sell then they'll sell them again to any next person anyway.

I'm glad this person is trying to find out as much as he can for his new companions though.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yes, and not wait for them to go though with it and be done right? Because they won't ever be done if they are kept in there with all the right conditions plus the lack of a proper sleep schedule in my opinion. What is the other option anyway, there is no giving them back. If the seller was willing to sell then they'll sell them again to any next person anyway.

I'm glad this person is trying to find out as much as he can for his new companions though.
Well, they will have a mating season and then rest but its best to just disrupt it now. He could also sell them to an actual breeder and maybe get a pet.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Well, they will have a mating season and then rest but its best to just disrupt it now. He could also sell them to an actual breeder and maybe get a pet.
I don't think I am in a position to tell him to sell them. It may not be very realistic. Also we don't know for sure if they were actually used for breeding.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
They may even be failed breeders, or ones ageing out of breeding.
Most breeders would not sell a pair that produces.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Your advice seems good to me. If they're not into breeding, get them into a normal open cage. I'm not sure they need 12 hours of dark, but it won't hurt either. I doubt he'll stop mating, but he can diminish it.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He should move them into a normal cage and remove anything that would encourage nesting behavior. Get them on a regular light / dark schedule and keep it steady so it breaks the sense of days getting longer. Give them plenty of toys to keep them occupied and get their thoughts off of making babies.