• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video of a head twitching Ekkie

Sniperzombies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melanie
I found this video of a woman's Eclectus doing a head twitch while looking for a wing flipping behavior video. She said it followed her Eclectus having wing flipping issues. It looks neurological, but it doesn't seem to bother it.

I have not been able to find any information on it but since my Eclectus (also named Ruby) has started wing flipping, I want to be prepared for anything else that might be related.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Don't have an Eclectus, but, my IRN does that when I sing to him and he's super excited about something.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A lot of birds twitch their heads like that. Doesn't necessarily mean anything. What I did notice was the toe tapping which is related to wing flipping. All of this is likely due to the diet the bird is being fed. Too much nutrient dense food and/or fortified foods are too much for them. Pellets are fine for 99% of most parrots. Not Ekkies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
One of the reasons a bird twitches its head like that is for sound. When they hear a sound that they "listen" to they are also deciphering "where" the sound is coming from. They shake there heads like that to "clear the radar" so to speak, ready to hear the sound again and confirm "where" it came from.

In this birds case it could very well be related to the wing flipping because we also see toe tapping. They go hand in hand.

KevinSmithESQ

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin Smith
I thought toe tapping was more of a shock. A fast contraction of the feet? Maybe it likes the sound it makes on the glass?

Sniperzombies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melanie
My cockatiels sit with their toes outstretched which I think is weird. My Eclectus does not show any signs of toe tapping even though she does still wing flip occasionally.

loris.3174

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Loris Lukic
Hi There just wanted to see if you have ever found out to what the twitching was caused by.
I have a same female electus that just started doing the same. Thank you

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a video of someone else's bird posted by a member who has not logged in since 2016; you are very unlikely to get an answer about the twitching. You should make a new post to give us more information about your bird.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Tapping is oftentimes caused by too much protein in their diet. Cut out nuts, eggs, if you give him any, and anything else that's protein to see if it resolves. Ekkis should only have a nut or 2, preferably a no seed diet and a wide variety of veggies and fruits.