• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vibration Bird

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
So I have a Jenday Conure who is normally pretty easy to understand but sometimes he will put his beak between or just be touching my fingers and just vibrates his head. What does this mean?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Have never had a conure but my guess is he cares for you and is trying to show it in his own way. He may also be trying to feed you depending on how he really is moving his head which means he thinks you're his mate etc.
Others with direct experience with these guys will jump in with better answers I'm sure.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like regurgitation to me.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Sounds like regurgitation to me.
That's what I thought at first but he does it all the time when I first get him out and he's never regurgitated anything. His mouth normally isn't open either

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Have never had a conure but my guess is he cares for you and is trying to show it in his own way. He may also be trying to feed you depending on how he really is moving his head which means he thinks you're his mate etc.
Others with direct experience with these guys will jump in with better answers I'm sure.
I hope it's affection!
Haha! And he moves it up and down, but it's never near my mouth.

Here's a link to an Instagram
video of him doing it Instagram

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Looks like he wants to me fed to me. I think your fingers maybe mimicking a mother's beak. Is he still fairly young? As far as I know they will continue doing that behaviour even after they been weaned. I'm pretty sure most birds grown out of it thou. I have seen birds do that before. I don't have much experience and like @Dartman I hope someone with more experience jumps in. I'm not sure but it may be something you don't want to encourage :shrug:

@melissasparrots you probably have a better idea than I do :)

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I think your fingers maybe mimicking a mother's beak.
I agree. And the way he looks up at you after makes me think he is surprised he is getting no food from the action.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is definitely baby bird behavior. Even if he isn't a baby, it might feel good and putting pressure on the right part of his beak is clearly stimulating a feeding response. If he's recently weaned, I'd be watching his weight to make sure he isn't getting super hungry. Actually, I'd be watching his weight once a week anyway just for health monitoring, but daily if he's younger. If he's several months post weaning, then it probably just feels good to him. I wouldn't worry about it if he's old enough to be very well weaned but I also would not encourage it.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Looks like he wants to me fed to me. I think your fingers maybe mimicking a mother's beak. Is he still fairly young? As far as I know they will continue doing that behaviour even after they been weaned. I'm pretty sure most birds grown out of it thou. I have seen birds do that before. I don't have much experience and like @Dartman I hope someone with more experience jumps in. I'm not sure but it may be something you don't want to encourage :shrug:

@melissasparrots you probably have a better idea than I do :)
I agree. And the way he looks up at you after makes me think he is surprised he is getting no food from the action.
That is definitely baby bird behavior. Even if he isn't a baby, it might feel good and putting pressure on the right part of his beak is clearly stimulating a feeding response. If he's recently weaned, I'd be watching his weight to make sure he isn't getting super hungry. Actually, I'd be watching his weight once a week anyway just for health monitoring, but daily if he's younger. If he's several months post weaning, then it probably just feels good to him. I wouldn't worry about it if he's old enough to be very well weaned but I also would not encourage it.
Thank you all for your input! While in that video he's looking up, and I have my fingers in a beak like formation, he'll actually do that whenever I first get home, so he could be looking down, doing on the side of my hand, Etc
Here's another video Instagram
He's 8 months (I got him at 4). He's eating well, already keep track of his weight so I know he hasn't lost any grams! He's done it other places too, like against my face once, and another time on my elbow. I've also seen him do it once to his snuggle hut. I'd also like to just say, not sure if it matters, but I don't put any pressure on it most of the time. My fingers will be just resting near his beak

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Still looks like the same thing to me and looks like it is happening when your fingers approach or are near his beak.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some birds are just sensitive and it doesn't take much to elicit this response. My hyacinth is 11 years old and still does it every once in a while.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Echo looks like a Sunday, not a jenday.... That is, he is a hybrid.

It does indeed look to be begging behavior, and as he's a baby, this is normal. That said, it's not necessarily something I recommend allowing or encouraging as it might lead to problems once he is sexually mature.

It may be a good idea and see if you can redirect the behavior by teaching another behavior that is incompatible to that behavior.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Echo looks like a Sunday, not a jenday.... That is, he is a hybrid.

It does indeed look to be begging behavior, and as he's a baby, this is normal. That said, it's not necessarily something I recommend allowing or encouraging as it might lead to problems once he is sexually mature.

It may be a good idea and see if you can redirect the behavior by teaching another behavior that is incompatible to that behavior.
Thank you for your advice! And as far as I know he is a Jenday. Why do you think he's a mix? Not that I mind much but I'm curios

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Face is very orange and wings are very yellow.

The majority of jendays should be more yellow in the face and have solid green wings.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Face is very orange and wings are very yellow.

The majority of jendays should be more yellow in the face and have solid green wings.
He is pretty orange.. As for his wings he is still a baby, but I see what you mean. I got him from Petsmart so honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't what they said.
I'm trying to find more pictures of Sunday's but they're few and far between

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
A lot of Sundays tend to look like Jendays, although a few do look more "Sun" like.

Here is a picture of a Sunday family... the parents being a sun and a jenday. If you know the differences between the two species, it's easy to tell the parents apart from the kids.

http://www.parrots-at-play.org/images/2009 Calendar Entries/PC09_060.jpg
Echo does look pretty similar to them.. But even so I don't know for sure if he's actually a Sunday. Ill have to wait until he gets his adult feathers to truly know