• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Vets in Ohio

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The vet I use is Dr. Riggs in Barberton. He was in one of the first classes of avian vets, works with zoo animals, and aids in raptor rehab. He's been badmouthed on here, but I've never had less than stellar visits. He is 75 minutes from me; Columbus is 45. I think the vets in Columbus, since they're part of medvet, overcharge, but that's my opinion. A well-bird exam with gram stains and bloodwork is $200 with Dr. Riggs.

A.K

Sprinting down the street
The vet I use is Dr. Riggs in Barberton. He was in one of the first classes of avian vets, works with zoo animals, and aids in raptor rehab. He's been badmouthed on here, but I've never had less than stellar visits. He is 75 minutes from me; Columbus is 45. I think the vets in Columbus, since they're part of medvet, overcharge, but that's my opinion. A well-bird exam with gram stains and bloodwork is $200 with Dr. Riggs.
Thanks! He sounds awesome, 45 min away, and only $200! May I ask I why others speak badly of him?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I drive two hours to my vet. There are avian vets closer but experience is most important to me. An inexperienced vet will cost you five times the amount in finding something wrong. The best avian vets have seen it a thousand times and know what to test for the first time.

Exam, cbc, Chem, x-ray gram stains and disease testing is what I do for a first exam. A little less than $800. Annual is exam, gram stains, cbc and Chem.

A.K

I drive two hours to my vet. There are avian vets closer but experience is most important to me. An inexperienced vet will cost you five times the amount in finding something wrong. The best avian vets have seen it a thousand times and know what to test for the first time.

Exam, cbc, Chem, x-ray gram stains and disease testing is what I do for a first exam. A little less than $800. Annual is exam, gram stains, cbc and Chem.
What exactly are gram stains, cbc and Chem? Isn’t 2 hours a little far if your bird is really sick?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
What exactly are gram stains, cbc and Chem? Isn’t 2 hours a little far if your bird is really sick?
It's blood work that should be yearly done

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@A.K Remember that literature I said you should print out and keep for reference? It was from Dr. Sakas' or Dr. Lafeber's office. That explains everything about the blood tests and other basic tests.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@A.K Remember that literature I said you should print out and keep for reference? It was from Dr. Sakas' or Dr. Lafeber's office. That explains everything about the blood tests and other basic tests.
Just looked for that link for myself.

It's on this thread

A.K

Heh, sorry I don’t remember, but thanks @Clueless for posting the link for me. Found the article, bookmarked it, and will read later when free - and print the second I get the chance. Thanks!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks! He sounds awesome, 45 min away, and only $200! May I ask I why others speak badly of him?

I remember one member posting that they'd had a bad experience with him. I've been to him multiple times as has a friend of mine. No negative experiences.

Reactions: A.K