• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Vets in Ohio

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Hi,

It has been confirmed that I am moving to Ohio, within the next 3 months (2 month vacation) So, now that I know, I am beginning to make plans for whatever bird I get. Of course, I won’t get it until early next year, but I’d like to make sure that everything is prepared for it beforehand. So, bringing me back to my question, does anyone know of a good avian vet in Ohio, specifically Columbus? I’ve heard of MedVet Hilliard, which is around 30 minutes away from the area I’ll be in. Is that too far? They have three different avian vets with them. Has anyone any experience with those vets? Any others you’d recommend?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think medvet gauges you. I'd go to Dallhausen in Milford, Ohio (near Cincinnati). A lot of people like medvet, but I'm not one of them.

A.K

That’s a little too far from Columbus (around 2 hours) May I ask what’s wrong with MedVet?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I took Rocco when he got sick. All I wanted was subq fluids, start on antibiotics and when I asked to put him in oxygen overnight and then pick him up in the morning to take to Dr. Orosz, they quoted me an initial consultation of 2,000. The vet on call was nice but not avian so I really can't hold that against them. However, also the wrong dose of oncior...he needed 10 units and received 2. But again that wasn't an avian vet. Dr. Orosz is amazing and while a little longer distance wise in Toledo, she knows her stuff. So they are decent if you get an avian vet but costly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Dr. Susan Orosz and Dr. bob Dalhausen are two of the very best veterinarians in the USA, if not the world. If you watched any of the Lafeber PDD Webinars, it was these two who presented.

Dr. Orosz is in Columbus and Dr. Dalhausen is in Milford.

A good vet is terribly important to you and your bird. Without Dr. Driggers (who was mentored by Dr. Orosz) I would not have lasted over three weeks into bird ownership, 25 years ago.

A.K

Dr. Susan Orosz and Dr. bob Dalhausen are two of the very best veterinarians in the USA, if not the world. If you watched any of the Lafeber PDD Webinars, it was these two who presented.

Dr. Orosz is in Columbus and Dr. Dalhausen is in Milford.

A good vet is terribly important to you and your bird. Without Dr. Driggers (who was mentored by Dr. Orosz) I would not have lasted over three weeks into bird ownership, 25 years ago.

Dr Orosz is in Toledo, which is around 2 1/2 hours away from my to-be-location. Dr Dalhausen, which I believe was mentioned by @aooratrix before, is again too far.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
A good vet is worth the drive. You can always go to a closer vet if there is an emergency and you can't make it to your normal vet. Don't disregard a good vet just because of the drive if you can help it. We lost our Aries to an inexperienced vet that was 15 minutes away from our home. Now we drive 3 hours one way to see the vet we should have gone to with her. A mistake we can never take back unfortunately!

You can check out Dr. Scott as well. He travels and may go to your area. Scott E. McDonald

A.K

A good vet is worth the drive. You can always go to a closer vet if there is an emergency and you can't make it to your normal vet. Don't disregard a good vet just because of the drive if you can help it. We lost our Aries to an inexperienced vet that was 15 minutes away from our home. Now we drive 3 hours one way to see the vet we should have gone to with her. A mistake we can never take back unfortunately!

You can check out Dr. Scott as well. He travels and may go to your area. Scott E. McDonald
Of course, if the vet is a good one, then I’ll take him/her there for annual check-ups, but I was looking for good vets near me, because in the case of an emergency, then a vet is urgent.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
A very good thing to look for as when Dr. Orosz is closed, one must find other options. I drive 1.5 hours to get there. Dallhausen might be closer for me but Dr. O has been my vet for 18-19 years now.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dr. O would be my go to if she was within driving distance.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Shoot, Dr. O is 4 hours away from me and I have been tempted to make the drive :lol: I just found out my old avian vet moved to North Carolina :(

It is good to have a closer option though.

A.K

I hope no one minds me asking, but roughly how much does a vet cost? Say, for like a check-up, how much would I be spending? Assuming nothing is wrong, or course. $200? Or does it depend on the vet and bird?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends for sure. If you're doing any type of disease testing or blood work, I usually pay at least $400. My old vet was $95 just to have an appt.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I found our cost for when we first got Toot, the other visits are at home so I can't check those right now.

Now when we adopted Toot we had extras done for a full work up on him due to his age and rapid beak growth. It cost us $643 for DNA testing, disease testing, Abaxis Avian/Reptilian Profile Plus, fecal exam, CBC, Beak\nail Trim, meds, and the yearly exam.

The exams we typically get done every year are- Abaxis Avian/Reptilian Profile Plus, fecal exam, CBC, and yearly exam.

Reactions: tka

A.K

I found our cost for when we first got Toot, the other visits are at home so I can't check those right now.

Now when we adopted Toot we had extras done for a full work up on him due to his age and rapid beak growth. It cost us $643 for DNA testing, disease testing, Abaxis Avian/Reptilian Profile Plus, fecal exam, CBC, Beak\nail Trim, meds, and the yearly exam.

The exams we typically get done every year are- Abaxis Avian/Reptilian Profile Plus, fecal exam, CBC, and yearly exam.
How often do you trim the nails and beak, if you don’t mind me asking?

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
How often do you trim the nails and beak, if you don’t mind me asking?
Toot needs a beak trim about every 3-4 months, nails twice a year. Jenks doesn't get beak trims but does get his nails done twice a year. That cost is 25$ per bird for Beak/Nails. Although with all of the flagstone perches we have I think I can cut the nail trims down to once a year now.

Reactions: A.K

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My usual checkup is always around $300. That generally only includes gram stains and first checkup although usually meds are in there. It's rare I can get away with no birdie having an issue. Although Maui, Maks and Zia were all clear (knocking on wood). Now with that being said, I do not do bloodwork unless Dr. Orosz thinks we need it. She is very familiar with conure bleeding syndrome (lost her own bird from it) so she is very careful with bloodwork and its necessity. Usually a profile panel is around $100. I do get xrays for many of them and those are usually around $100 too. When Rocco went down, I spent under $300 at the emergency vet and I think less than $500 the next day with Dr. Orosz. Multiple peeps going in can qualify for a multi bird discount too.

Reactions: A.K

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Conure bleeding syndrome?

Does that mean they bleed easier?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes but unfortunately they pass away from blood loss.