• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet Wrap Question

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Hi,

I've noticed that some people use vet wrap on their perches. My guy has bad feet so I have always provided him with rope perches. However I want to include some natural perches that he can grip.

I have a few questions about the wrap. Is any brand of it okay or is there a certain manufacturer that you use? Does you bird generally leave it alone or do they pick at it? Is it safe for chewers?

Finally how long of a time between changes on average. Thanks for your help, this is a subject I'm not familiar with.

Jay

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bought mine from my vet clinic so I knew it would be safe but I know other members have gotten it from Amazon or other places.
Mine have been a mixed bag. Nala picked at it at first but after awhile she was less prone about doing that. Zazu ripped it off immediately and tried to swallow it so that was a big no for her. Bosco picked it off after a day or so and just shredded it so I just completely removed the rope perches period since it wasn't worth the risk of him ingesting the vet wrap or the cotton rope.
But since Nala could have hers eventually I changed them out about once a month less it got soiled more frequently.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I'm not s fan . Gets nasty, pia

Wide perches can be very supportive to feet .

But share how works for you!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
My destructive budgie girl didn't really touch it when I used it for her mate. But I did an extremely careful wrapping job, no bumps or tags, always tucked the end under the perch etc.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Thanks April! Tikal doesn't eat the rope, he just nips the cotton so the perch eventually fails :banghead:. I'm hoping natural perches with the wrap will be easier on his feet. Plus he uses the rope perches as napkins, so I'm constantly washing them. So I will need to change it more frequently. He shows me his foot after a long day, just keeps it in the air. I found a seller on Amazon (forget the maker, 3m? Or J&J) so I think I'll go with them since they are well know. If it doesn't work out it's always good to have around.

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I'm not s fan . Gets nasty, pia

Wide perches can be very supportive to feet .

But share how works for you!
I'll give it a try. I'm only working with one cage so it might not be as bad. I uses the medium width rope perches for him currently. Any normal perch he has problems gripping and staying on. I just want to spice it up for him a bit.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll give it a try. I'm only working with one cage so it might not be as bad. I uses the medium width rope perches for him currently. Any normal perch he has problems gripping and staying on. I just want to spice it up for him a bit.
Have you tried Grapevine perches? They are awesome super craggy and fun unique shapes that really help those feet grip. I'm obsessed with mine! @Mizzely sells them on her site. Grapevine Perches

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran