• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet visit...

Ismail

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone my budgie is turning 8 and she’s been sneezing when I put her to bed and has dried clear discharge above her nares in the morning. I made an appointment with an avian vet for Monday but am very nervous and worried the stress might make her more sick..she’s acting totally normal acting as if she’s not sick, eating, flying, talking. Have you guys taken your budgie to the vet, if so how did it go? Did they give you the right medicine to cure your budgie?

Ismail

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone my budgie is turning 8 and she’s been sneezing when I put her to bed and has dried clear discharge above her nares in the morning. I made an appointment with an avian vet for Monday but am very nervous and worried the stress might make her more sick..she’s acting totally normal acting as if she’s not sick, eating, flying, talking. Have you guys taken your budgie to the vet, if so how did it go? Did they give you the right medicine to cure your budgie?
They said they’ll restrain her with a towel and hold her by the neck :( she’s never experienced anything like that before

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I can only say - I wish the best for the vet visit. We have been very fortunate in that mine have been healthy so far, at 5 years old. Let us know how it goes, will you?

Ismail

Strolling the yard
I can only say - I wish the best for the vet visit. We have been very fortunate in that mine have been healthy so far, at 5 years old. Let us know how it goes, will you?
I took her to the vet today they said that she has an upper respiratory track infection and gave her enrofloxacin, I have to give 0.05 ml by mouth every 12 hours for 14 days. They said she may have chlamydia from her previous owners but we’d have to do more testing for that and it would be costly...all they did today was check her weight and her heartbeat and well as checking her wings, eyes, and nares. Have you guys had any experience with this medication? Hopefully she gets cured with this and doesn’t have chlamydia :( she’s also been shaking her head ever since taking the antibiotic, is that normal

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I took her to the vet today they said that she has an upper respiratory track infection and gave her enrofloxacin, I have to give 0.05 ml by mouth every 12 hours for 14 days. They said she may have chlamydia from her previous owners but we’d have to do more testing for that and it would be costly...all they did today was check her weight and her heartbeat and well as checking her wings, eyes, and nares. Have you guys had any experience with this medication? Hopefully she gets cured with this and doesn’t have chlamydia :( she’s also been shaking her head ever since taking the antibiotic, is that normal
I hope this antibiotic will have great effects and she will be 100 percent soon!
I found this, with regard to the chlamydia, so I hope she doesn't have that.
It says that the enrofloxacin is a generic Baytril. You may already know all this, but if not... here goes....

It is worth repeating that Baytril is not a good first line of treatment for respiratory infections caused by Chlamydia, because although it tends to reduce symptoms (that is, make the birds look better) it is not as effective at actually clearing the organism as other antibiotics such as doxycycline

Ismail

Strolling the yard
I hope this antibiotic will have great effects and she will be 100 percent soon!
I found this, with regard to the chlamydia, so I hope she doesn't have that.
It says that the enrofloxacin is a generic Baytril. You may already know all this, but if not... here goes....

It is worth repeating that Baytril is not a good first line of treatment for respiratory infections caused by Chlamydia, because although it tends to reduce symptoms (that is, make the birds look better) it is not as effective at actually clearing the organism as other antibiotics such as doxycycline
I’m so upset, they didn’t even do anything at the vet except look at her and listen to her heartbeat. They couldn’t even test her droppings without charging more and that’s not something I can afford... she didn’t even suggest we test her droppings. She suggested we test her for chlamydia but it costed so much. I don’t know what to do, I don’t know whether to give her the baytril now.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
give her the baytril! You and your vet made a choice based on what they thought and what you were willing to do. Tests cost money they have to send them out to a veterinarian laboratory. It's the same for human medicine.
Your veterinarian isn't trying to hurt your burd they are trying to help.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I’m so upset, they didn’t even do anything at the vet except look at her and listen to her heartbeat. They couldn’t even test her droppings without charging more and that’s not something I can afford... she didn’t even suggest we test her droppings. She suggested we test her for chlamydia but it costed so much. I don’t know what to do, I don’t know whether to give her the baytril now.
Well it doesn't say the Baytril could harm her, so I'd go ahead and give her what they prescribed for the respiratory infection... what I sent just said it wasn't the first line of defense IF it is caused by chlamydia. Try not to worry ok? You have done what you could so far, and the Baytril just might be the one! Also, I hope someone will chime in here with med experience, but I would think that the head shaking might be typical after liquid meds...(?) Can you get a video of it so we can see what kind of shaking she's doing?

Ismail

Strolling the yard
Well it doesn't say the Baytril could harm her, so I'd go ahead and give her what they prescribed for the respiratory infection... what I sent just said it wasn't the first line of defense IF it is caused by chlamydia. Try not to worry ok? You have done what you could so far, and the Baytril just might be the one! Also, I hope someone will chime in here with med experience, but I would think that the head shaking might be typical after liquid meds...(?) Can you get a video of it so we can see what kind of shaking she's doing?
She stopped shaking her head, I think it was just because of the taste lingering on her tongue. The thing is baytril can cause a yeast infection and I’m just worried about that

Ismail

Strolling the yard
give her the baytril! You and your vet made a choice based on what they thought and what you were willing to do. Tests cost money they have to send them out to a veterinarian laboratory. It's the same for human medicine.
Your veterinarian isn't trying to hurt your burd they are trying to help.
I will give her the baytril after talking to my vet about the possibility of a yeast infection occurring

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Without doing any tests your vet has to make an educated guess. There are many sicknesses that have the same symptoms, and baytril is a common antibiotic to give birds.

ALL medications have the ability to produce side effects or unintended secondary infections. We are always weighing the treatment with risks. A respiratory infection has a greater chance of making your bird seriously ill than yeast does, in my opinion.

Ismail

Strolling the yard
Without doing any tests your vet has to make an educated guess. There are many sicknesses that have the same symptoms, and baytril is a common antibiotic to give birds.

ALL medications have the ability to produce side effects or unintended secondary infections. We are always weighing the treatment with risks. A respiratory infection has a greater chance of making your bird seriously ill than yeast does, in my opinion.
So there’s a chance the medication will make her worse?

Ismail

Strolling the yard
Not usually, but you expressed concern about yeast. That is what I was talking about.
It says to give her the baytril for 14 days, I’m new to budgie medication but is that normal? 14 days isn’t too long?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It says to give her the baytril for 14 days, I’m new to budgie medication but is that normal? 14 days isn’t too long?
No that sounds correct