• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet visit

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Today we went to the vet to get my cockatiels nail trimmed. They were telling my information that I was kinda unsure about. They told me when he is taking a bath add some aloe into the bath, they said it helps with molting. I told them I give my cockatiel a seeds, vegetables, and fruits. They told me to start giving him pellets, so he doesn’t get liver fat. Is this information they gave me correct? Another very weird thing they told me is to put him anabiotic‘s..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on who you ask ;)

Aloe in the water - not necessary but probably fine. I just don't like to put anything on their feathers if at all possible.

As for the diet, depends on many factors. Some birds do just fine on seeds, vegetables, and fruits, but they can be at risk of vitamin deficiencies if they aren't eating foods that seeds are lacking (calcium, for example, comes primarily from dark leafy greens and is absent in most seeds). They can also be at risk of lack of Vitamin D3, as this is not present in seeds or veggies with the very small exception of some algae and alfalfa in very small amounts. If your bird gets sunlight (not from a window) several days a week this might not be a concern.

Ratio is important to. If the diet is MOSTLY seeds with a bit of veggies here and there, then the diet might be too high in fat and COULD result in atherosclerosis or fatty liver.

I chose to feed primarily pellets with some veggies and nuts. If I had a cockatiel, I would be doing seeds, nuts, pellets, and veggies. I offer very little fruit.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Depends on who you ask ;)

Aloe in the water - not necessary but probably fine. I just don't like to put anything on their feathers if at all possible.

As for the diet, depends on many factors. Some birds do just fine on seeds, vegetables, and fruits, but they can be at risk of vitamin deficiencies if they aren't eating foods that seeds are lacking (calcium, for example, comes primarily from dark leafy greens and is absent in most seeds). They can also be at risk of lack of Vitamin D3, as this is not present in seeds or veggies with the very small exception of some algae and alfalfa in very small amounts. If your bird gets sunlight (not from a window) several days a week this might not be a concern.

Ratio is important to. If the diet is MOSTLY seeds with a bit of veggies here and there, then the diet might be too high in fat and COULD result in atherosclerosis or fatty liver.

I chose to feed primarily pellets with some veggies and nuts. If I had a cockatiel, I would be doing seeds, nuts, pellets, and veggies. I offer very little fruit.
Ok thank you!! They also told me to put him on anabiotic‘s