• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet visit

Papiiiiii

Meeting neighbors
NEW MOM to Quaker “papi”
Took him to the vet for a check up
He is currently 5 weeks maybe and I felt that they might have been to aggressive and overwhelming
Made it to a 2 man job
Anyways we got home maybe 4 hours ago and he’s just seems super down
He’s not his usual self
Is this normal !???

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have found the vet experience to be very tiring for them. It's usually a 2 person job, one to hold and one to examine and get blood etc. so try to not let that upset you. Give him a nice meal and some quiet time in his cage and a good nights sleep and he should be back to his usual self in the morning.

Papiiiiii

Meeting neighbors
I have found the vet experience to be very tiring for them. It's usually a 2 person job, one to hold and one to examine and get blood etc. so try to not let that upset you. Give him a nice meal and some quiet time in his cage and a good nights sleep and he should be back to his usual self in the morning.
thank you so much Karen , I just felt like that mom at the clinic half way in tears watching her baby get checked !
But I know they were doing g their job it just hurt me cus my baby boy is sensitive
Thank you again Karen !

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes I agree with Karen.
I also know just how you felt- I panic and think the worst is going to happen and that my bird needs me to be there right beside him - truth is he is probably better off being inspected and vetted (especially for needles or procedures like blood draw or microchipping ) without me there so I can be the big hero and rescue him from the big scary birdie Dr. She makes me rescue him from her each time she has had him toweled but he still loves her and plays cutesy with her- only after she releases him from the towel of course :laugh: He grumps at her for toweling him and she gently touches his beak or head and tells him to mind his manners and be a good boy and he goes quiet after a really quiet grumble to himself- she thinks it is adorable and tells me he is the only bird who listens to her like that. Even though she has no issues with grabbing and toweling him it is always a two person job- our last visit there were two vets techs being trained so it was a 4 person job lol.
If they are competent vets they actually are quite gentle and sure handed so there is very little to worry about even though it looks rough.

Papiiiiii

Meeting neighbors
Yes I agree with Karen.
I also know just how you felt- I panic and think the worst is going to happen and that my bird needs me to be there right beside him - truth is he is probably better off being inspected and vetted (especially for needles or procedures like blood draw or microchipping ) without me there so I can be the big hero and rescue him from the big scary birdie Dr. She makes me rescue him from her each time she has had him toweled but he still loves her and plays cutesy with her- only after she releases him from the towel of course :laugh: He grumps at her for toweling him and she gently touches his beak or head and tells him to mind his manners and be a good boy and he goes quiet after a really quiet grumble to himself- she thinks it is adorable and tells me he is the only bird who listens to her like that. Even though she has no issues with grabbing and toweling him it is always a two person job- our last visit there were two vets techs being trained so it was a 4 person job lol.
If they are competent vets they actually are quite gentle and sure handed so there is very little to worry about even though it looks rough.
lmfaoooooo ! My boy is a little bum but the biggest love bug I wish the vet would’ve had a one on one like that I feel like he tried it didn’t work and boom straight to business he was mostly upset about how many appointments he had on a Saturday Like be nice to my son please !!!!
but he is a professional who am I to judge his personality , I was hoping to find someone more like your vet that would be like that
I completely did that too though once we got in the car I got him out the cage to hug him

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! (I cried the entire way home the first time I took my bird to a vet. I thought they were too rough with him and actually then found a vet I like much better.) But yes, it is normal for them to be tired after a vet visit in general.

Papiiiiii

Meeting neighbors
Welcome! (I cried the entire way home the first time I took my bird to a vet. I thought they were too rough with him and actually then found a vet I like much better.) But yes, it is normal for them to be tired after a vet visit in general.
OMG yes !!!! the fact my eyes were completely watery during the visit
Lol !!!!! I completely understand and glad I’m not crazy for feeling this way for this little boy ! I need to do some research because although I trust his professionalism , I’m sure there’s better and somewhere I’d feel more comfortable

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
OMG yes !!!! the fact my eyes were completely watery during the visit
Lol !!!!! I completely understand and glad I’m not crazy for feeling this way for this little boy ! I need to do some research because although I trust his professionalism , I’m sure there’s better and somewhere I’d feel more comfortable
I think it's important to find someone you're comfortable with. The first vet I saw I'm sure was competent. I just didn't like how he did things and honestly felt like he thought all my concerns about my bird were silly. I found a new vet right after that who is so gentle with all of my birds. And he takes all of my OCDness over by birds seriously (although he probably rolls his eyes after I leave, LOL. )

Papiiiiii

Meeting neighbors
I think it's important to find someone you're comfortable with. The first vet I saw I'm sure was competent. I just didn't like how he did things and honestly felt like he thought all my concerns about my bird were silly. I found a new vet right after that who is so gentle with all of my birds. And he takes all of my OCDness over by birds seriously (although he probably rolls his eyes after I leave, LOL. )
LOL
That’s exactly what I was expecting
All I heard was him complaining about the appointments he had on a Saturday
He obviously was at fault if my baby boy can’t balance on his leg and has been EXTRA cranky since we’ve left his office ‍♀

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
LOL
That’s exactly what I was expecting
All I heard was him complaining about the appointments he had on a Saturday
He obviously was at fault if my baby boy can’t balance on his leg and has been EXTRA cranky since we’ve left his office ‍♀
I hope your bird is feeling better now.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1: